• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Earthquake

bbcmicro

Veteran Member
Only a teensy one, but considering the UK isn't near any faults, and never having felt one before, it was certainly strange being woken up at 1 in the morning by the house shaking...
I forgot that we can have hundreds of earthquakes a year, they're always small and rarely felt but I remembered, maybe 4 years ago, there was another noticeable earthquake in Manchester. I was in the midlands at the time so I missed it anyway.

1 guy broke his hip when a chimenty stack fell on him (I think, it was too early this morning to fully understand the news on the radio) it was a 5.2 on the Richter scale

Anyone else notice it?

Last edited:
Shake, rattle and roll.

We get them all the time down here, but certainly noticable ones are rare in the UK.

Small ones are fun, moderate ones are scary. A big one (>6.8 ) I haven't experienced yet and never hope to.

Our last one was a few weeks ago, where one of our smaller cities (Gisborne) on the East Coast (NI) sustained minor damage. I think that was a 6.5? We certainly felt it here in the lower North Island. My brother in law (who lives there) lost some of his vintage bottle collection.

Now that's one thing against displaying expensive vintage computers in vertical racks, unless the those racks are well secured. :)

In Ontario, we live on what is known as The Laurentian Shield, which is about 100 mile thick slab of solid granite. Picture a REALLY, REALLY good pool table.

In the 50 of 54 years that I've lived here, I've never felt even a small tremor (other than when I was a teenager and drank a bit too much) and I've only heard of one being felt anywhere near here.

This granite might extend beyond Ontario, but, being Ontario, our general attitude is "who cares" LOL

In Australia you have to be really unlucky to be in a devistating Earthquake, the one which comes to mind happened in Newcastle, NSW circa 1989 or so which tore the town apart! Australia doesn't sit on any major fault lines obviously, though with the right map you can get a good picture of where the fault lines are (I was quite suprised there being several in the area!)

CP/M User.

Didn't feel a thing myself ZZZZzzzzz!
But the next-door-but-2 neighbour fell out of bed!

The last biggish(!) one we had in the 1980s I didn't notice either, was walking across the yard at work, walked into the workshop to find my mate Eddie, holding onto his rack of almost new Hewlett Packard "technical desktops" looking very pale.

Back