• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

EGA Video card for mu new IBM 5170 - prefer original IBM

I don't have an IBM card but I do have:

1) DataMedia full length CGA

2) DataMedia full length EGA

3) Paradise Autoswitch EGA 480

Why do you want an EGA card for a CGA monitor?

An EGA card + CGA monitor is actually a desirable combination if you want to run mid-late-80's games to their best on a CGA monitor; many of them used the 16 color 320x200 mode. Downside is you lose some compatibility with some older games that used oddball CGA tricks.

I had one of those Paradise EGA cards, I'd highly recommend it. It ranks right up there with some of the early ATI Graphics Solution/Wonder cards in desirability.

worth something?

I don't buy or sell these things, so for all I know "desirable" in my mind may well not mean the same thing as "worth something" monetarily. ;)

The Graphics Solution cards are probably objectively not as good/useful as the EGA/VGA compatible ones but I remember them being darn neat "things" anyway. If you had a CGA monitor the Plantronics ColorPlus graphics modes were a nice improvement over CGA (unfortunately there wasn't much game support) and if you had MDA the hardware CGA emulation was pretty neat. If you have a choice between a Graphics Solution or a plain CGA or Hercules card it's a no-brainer.

Some of those "SuperEGA" cards (the Paradise is an example) are loads of fun just in how many bizarre video modes they support. The setup program for the old DOS version of PC Paintbrush (3.x?) had literally *pages* of driver/mode/resolution combinations targeted at those various cards. (Obviously you're ultimately limited by the monitor, but if you had an NEC Multisync at your disposal you could probably spend the better part of a day exploring weird modes on something like a Paradise EGA 480.)

Thanks for the info. A couple of the boxes in my basement had a lot of various 8 and 16 bit ISA cards, including an Everex EV-653 EGA card, and the ATI Small Wonder, along with a number of ISA VGA cards. I need to pull out one of my industrial 486 processor cards and a passive ISA backplane, and test some of these. Unfortunately I don't have any way to test the Small Wonder or the EGA board, since we 'de-CRTed' a long time ago, and any EGA-compatible monitors I may have had are long gone, I think. Might have one, though, come to think of it.....

I don't have an IBM card but I do have:

1) DataMedia full length CGA

2) DataMedia full length EGA

3) Paradise Autoswitch EGA 480
That's all? Pshaw!

I think I've got manuals and disks for the Paradise somewhere if they're not available elsewhere (and the card of course ;-) ).

(Obviously you're ultimately limited by the monitor, but if you had an NEC Multisync at your disposal you could probably spend the better part of a day exploring weird modes on something like a Paradise EGA 480.)
If he needs a multisync I've got one of those as well. :)

I just need a card :)

I purchased a nice 5170 and 5153 without a video card or keyboard for £80 which I see as a bargain :) just need the video card and I am up and running and can test the rest of the system, I can find a correct keyboard over time.

Clint, I concur that 5153 is usable with any EGA card. As a young lad, I could spring for $40 EGA cards, but not any new/used monitor, so this is what we did. An ega monitor would have a bit better resolution, but I was happy with just the increase from 4 colors to 16 colors.
This is what I'm arranging in the present with my new purchases.

Back