• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Email notifications truncate body text at 160 characters

Trixter

Veteran Member
Prior to the forum upgrade, email notifications for new posts contained the full text of the post. After the upgrade, the email notifications appear to truncate at, or near, 160 characters. This limits the usefulness of the email notifications, as there isn't enough context to make a meaningful decision. For example, if the new post is actually a quoted reply, the quoted reply itself is the only thing displayed, and truncated at that.

Additionally, thread context is missing from the notification. An email notification from a subscribed thread now only says "$USER has made a new post", whereas it used to say "$USER has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled $THREADTITLE in the $SUBFORUM forum of Vintage Computer Forum."

Existing email notifications look like this:

Code:
Erik has made a new post under
The New Forums

The discussion is located at:
https://www.vcfed.org/forum/node/1204839

Here is the message that has been posted:
[PLAIN][QUOTE="Roland Huisman, post: 1204566"][/PLAIN]
Is there a way to set the colours in the forum? I would like to set it a bit darker somehow...
[/QUOTE]

There should now be a

Prior notifications had the entire post, as well as two unsubscribe links, such as this:

Code:
tempest has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - PCjr Monitor Question - in the PCs and Clones forum of Vintage Computer Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?78971-PCjr-Monitor-Question&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Trixter)---
There is some small amount of fringing on a "perfect" PCjr monitor (which I have). I still content that the thin font makes your problems worse, not better (the vertical lines don't always seem even in your shots).

For your EGA Wonder + 5151, run the latest CGA Compatibility Tester; I added a "monochrome CGA" luminance bars section that you can use to try to get all 16 shades distinct from each other.
---End Quote---
My problem with the regular font is that it looks fuzzier to me. Maybe I'm just so used to the thin font now? Or could it be that the 'normal' font in the EPROM is different than the one that came with the PCjr? I honestly never compared them or have any way to doing that at the moment since the chip they replaced with the mod wasn't included.

How would you adjust the 'colors' on the 5151? I didn't think there was any sort of adjustment possible.

Back