• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EPROM burning for beginners

Thanks Mike and Tez (and all), I was going to bring that up as a question. I knew a guy who did a lot of that (I've never found the working equipment to give it a try yet) had pointed out at a hamfest that a collection of eproms were really otp by the model number. I never knew what he actually looked at to determine that.

I'm curious if there's a list (although I guess if you know what you're doing it probably doesn't matter) of what EPROM or EEPROMs would be compatible with cartridges or ROM slots on different systems (if there is such a thing or limitation). Say I'd like to back up C64 cartridge roms or read/write an Atari 400/800 rom if there's a guide to what would be compatible or what type of chip I'd need to make sure the reader can accept.

Just to add to this whole discussion, since you also have a top853, I just received mine in the mail today. I had another usb programmer that would program some newer eproms but since the vpp wouldn't go above 12 volts, was unable to program the many eproms I needed for older arcade game pcb's which use 2516's and 2716's. After reading this article last week, I purchased a Top853 and received it in the mail today, and decided to give a go at a eprom I needed for an Asteroids Deluxe pcb.
Believe it or not, I just burned a tms2516jl-45 with the top853, with it set to MSM2716-25v it programmed, verified, then I checked it multiple times again and was correct. I was under the impression that 2516's couldn't be burned with this device but it seems they can after all. Still somewhat new to programming eproms, but I have thousands of vintage arcade pcbs waiting to be brought back to life =D

Last edited:
Tez,

Nice page! I too went through a long 'figure it out' phase of Epromming in general and Willem Eprom burning especially - this would have helped me a lot...

I see you mention the Willem's bewildering array of jumpers on your page. I tried to document them for at least my Willem version 4.1 on this page here, maybe useful to know. The original manual doesn't explain them really. Feel free to use the picture, or I can send you the Word original.

Regards,

Oscar.

Thanks Oscar,

Nice work on the image. One of the problems with these Willems is there are so many variants and versions. So much so that even the documents you can get with the units don't even match the units!

Tez

Another thing to add...how to burn a set of eproms for code that spans more than one eprom? That is useful. And maybe something explaining why the memory location of the data is not assigned, like it is for a papertape. That was very confusing to me when I was learning this stuff. I remember trying to tell the eprom where in memory a prom should be assigned, until I learned that the device that holds the eprom assigns the memory location start address. Eproms are just the code.

Back