• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson PX-8 external ram disk

Thx1138

Experienced Member
Hi,

I recently acquired an external ram disk, I've attached it however when I turn the machine on now I just get BDOS error, Bad Sector on A:

I've made the assumption that this is most probably likely to be duff batteries in the ram disk, I had a look at them, took a picture here.

Do you think I'm on the right track that it's likely to be the batteries, the unit looks in good condition?

Charlie

Did you end up replacing the battery pack? They don't seem too uncommon, at least you have a common voltage (fairly regular AA's) I don't know this site but it's one of probably many with a similar battery pack. Have you checked the capacitors? Certainly reseat the ram chips on the expansion section or the other chip that looks socketed.

The batteries COULD be the problem. The Epsons were prone to not liking dead batteries.

You might also check your setup and ensure the RAM disk is not set as the A drive. That should allow you to at least boot so you can then try to format the RAM disk.

As far as the battery pack, if you can't find one with the right plug, Battery Plus will build you a pack using your old pack as a pattern. Or if you're handy with a soldering iron, buy a pack with the right specs and cut and solder the proper plug to the new pack.

Thanks chaps, I connected the unit again, charged for a couple of hours and then tried a few different ways of resetting the px8 until finally it initialised and allowed me to format the drive, hooray it is now working fine!

Charlie

That's great news Charlie!

The Geneva is one of the better CP/M laptops ever made, in my opinion...

Hope you enjoy it!

Curtis

Back