• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Establishing internet connection on mac LC II

Dmitriy Krotevich

Experienced Member
Today an ethernet card for my Mac LC II has finally arrived. The card is Farallon EtherMac LC for processor direct slot.

IMG_6471.jpg

The card is now installed, connected to my D-link (dir 300) router, yet I'm having no luck trying to make it work. While the cable is connected the LED indicator on the card is ON, although it doesn't blink. I got Open Transport installed which has DHCP support. There is a screenshot showing my current settings. One thing worries me is that "hardware address" is empty. Does it mean that the card simply does not function?

Picture 1.jpg

I'm not certain. There could be some sort of software conflict. You could try doing a Clean Install of your system with the card installed.

whoa!! Reinstalling the System actually helped! Finnaly got this crap working.

Picture 1.jpg

so, what now? I don't expect there to be any browsers for 68k Macs capable surfing modern web, but there must be something useful? FTP clients at least?

There are FTP and IRC clients that are still useful. If you have a Linux system, you can run netatalk and serve files to the LC II. I'd imagine there are still e-mail programs out there. There are SSH and telnet clients, too.

You're not going to be surfing the net on an LC II, but it would handy to have Fetch which is a good, lightweight FTP program. A good terminal application is Black Night. You can use it for BBS or telnet. It's pretty good. Might even do IRC, not sure. It does a lot of different things. If you're curious anyway about viewing the web just to say you can, your only options are iCab and MacLynx.

Thanks, guys! I will try to find the software you suggested.

olePigeon, you already helped me twice, thank you, man!

PS- today got my Mac recapped. Now have a perfect clean sound out of a speaker!

Back