• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ever feel like 5 slots just isn't enough?

If you dont have enough slots in 5150, just buy an IBM Expansion Unit 5161, that's why it was introduced! :D

If you dont have enough slots in 5150, just buy an IBM Expansion Unit 5161, that's why it was introduced! :D

What do you think the cost for the box, adapter card, and cables would be in your part of the globe? :sad:

They are difficult to find on eBay and very expensive when they do appear. Finding an original cable is nearly impossible. One of the eBay sellers I talked to said that he sold the ends of a cable which had been cut for $600. The receiver/extender cards are often sold separately as well.

They are difficult to find on eBay and very expensive when they do appear. Finding an original cable is nearly impossible. One of the eBay sellers I talked to said that he sold the ends of a cable which had been cut for $600. The receiver/extender cards are often sold separately as well.

I suspect he knows that well and is just doing some low key bragging, check the sig :rolleyes:

But yeah I'd love a 5161, who wouldn't

5 slots are never enough. What I'd like to see is reproductions of the 5161 receiver and transmitter cards made. I've talked to others in our local club about possibly getting a production run, but obviously, economies of scale determines how cheap the cards can get. There are obviously not enough 5161 expansion units, but all that's inside is a power supply and a backplane. Certainly helpful when you run out of space. The 5161 introduces a wait state, but I hardly notice it, even with a 330MB Micropolis SCSI drive running in my 5161.

5 slots are never enough. What I'd like to see is reproductions of the 5161 receiver and transmitter cards made. I've talked to others in our local club about possibly getting a production run, but obviously, economies of scale determines how cheap the cards can get. There are obviously not enough 5161 expansion units, but all that's inside is a power supply and a backplane. Certainly helpful when you run out of space. The 5161 introduces a wait state, but I hardly notice it, even with a 330MB Micropolis SCSI drive running in my 5161.
I've had this same thought myself on numerous occasions. Did anyone ever create kicad files for them?

That's nuts. I'll confess, I have an extra cable myself, but I wouldn't cut the ends off, much less sell it for $600. Though I only have 1 extender card (and I'm currently using it). Those seem to the the difficult pieces of the puzzle.

That's nuts. I'll confess, I have an extra cable myself, but I wouldn't cut the ends off, much less sell it for $600. Though I only have 1 extender card (and I'm currently using it). Those seem to the the difficult pieces of the puzzle.
The receivers are definitely easier to find because they are commonly still in the 5161. The extender, by contrast, is much harder to find. The cable... I've pretty much accepted that I'll have to use a modern cable.

Do the cards have any capacitors or resistor packs on them? I'm curious because I've got something related that I kludged together, which instead going to a backplane, goes from the bus to a breakout strip and a large breadboard via a 2 ft ribbon cable, which I use for prototyping. I've got some terminating resistor packs on mine, but I had to lift the OSC signal, because it was causing the machine to not POST. Wondering if there's a better way to do that.

Scrappers love snipping off cables for that $.05 of copper. And to be honest people and companies tend to keep expansion boxes but lose the cables that are needed to use them. Those 5161 were probably not made in any major quantity.

Scrappers love snipping off cables for that $.05 of copper. And to be honest people and companies tend to keep expansion boxes but lose the cables that are needed to use them. Those 5161 were probably not made in any major quantity.
In this particular case, I think it was cut because they were too lazy to unscrew the cables.

Thanks again. Got all my parts on the way, looking forward to building.

BTW to anyone who is interested, oshpark makes ya order a minimum of 3 PCBs, so I'll have two spares. $2.75 each plus shipping.

Cheers

Thanks again. Got all my parts on the way, looking forward to building.

BTW to anyone who is interested, oshpark makes ya order a minimum of 3 PCBs, so I'll have two spares. $2.75 each plus shipping.

Cheers

I actually never order from OSH myself, I use JLCPCB. They do however offer a really convenient way to share open source PCB designs

Back