• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Everex everdisk controller MFM HDD Utility

inaxeon

Experienced Member
Hello

Currently running up an IBM 5161 which has an Everex EV-391 a couple of ST-412s

From reading the manual it looks like I will need the above titled software to park/low level format etc

Does anyone have a copy of this? Do I actually need it? Have not even switched on the power yet!

Cheers

"Original", what does that even mean?

Literally tens of thousands of PCs and XTs were sold without hard drives. It was absolutely a real thing to add one's own after the fact, from wherever it might be got. Half the ads in PC Magazine were for companies selling 10, 20, 30 MB hard drive kits through 1985 at least. Some of them probably even found their way into 5161 Expansion Units.

Frankly IBM's hard drive options were as costly as they were disappointing, which only encouraged this sort of thing. You might say it even created that particular opportunity (and probably had at least a little to do with what happened with the hard drives in the various early desktop PS/2s, though I suspect automated assembly had more to do with it).

It's not like he's stuck a 2 GB SCSI drive in it, or some flash-based thing.

Last edited:
"Original", what does that even mean?

Literally tens of thousands of PCs and XTs were sold without hard drives. It was absolutely a real thing to add one's own after the fact, from wherever it might be got. Half the ads in PC Magazine were for companies selling 10, 20, 30 MB hard drive kits through 1985 at least. Some of them probably even found their way into 5161 Expansion Units.

Frankly IBM's hard drive options were as costly as they were disappointing, which only encouraged this sort of thing. You might say it even created that particular opportunity (and probably had at least a little to do with what happened with the hard drives in the various early desktop PS/2s, though I suspect automated assembly had more to do with it).

It's not like he's stuck a 2 GB SCSI drive in it, or some flash-based thing.

I thought this was fairly original. What is supposed to be in here? It had one HDD + Tandon 5 1/4 floppy when I got it, but I had to re-purpose the floppy to my PC as one of its drives was faulty.

I thought this was fairly original.

IMO it is. Or at the very least "period". I was taking issue with somebody trying to say that you using drives and a controller without IBM part numbers was somehow "not original".

Floppy drives weren't a supported configuration in the 5161, but I suppose somebody discovered they worked there and did it anyway. Or maybe they just wanted to fill up a hole. I'd probably have taken the floppy out too, even if I didn't need to.

IMO it is. Or at the very least "period". I was taking issue with somebody trying to say that you using drives and a controller without IBM part numbers was somehow "not original".

Floppy drives weren't a supported configuration in the 5161, but I suppose somebody discovered they worked there and did it anyway. Or maybe they just wanted to fill up a hole. I'd probably have taken the floppy out too, even if I didn't need to.

Ah, so it is my Everex which is upsetting the purists here? :p I thought this was how it would have been supplied but from reading the manual, this controller is quite recent, only just barely supporting older 10MB disks.

Am I supposed to have one of these in it? http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/ibm_xebec/ibm_xebec.htm

Maybe I'll get around to it one day. The everex is working but in very poor condition (traces corroded / bubbling away from the PCB)

Back