• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Expensive Kaypro II

pavery

Experienced Member
After checking out Tezza's Kaypro II in the flesh, I thought 'what would it take to get one of these things?' :D

A quick check on eBay revealed a nice looking Kaypro (auction number 300039229895 )

But oh, the Buy Now price = $US 35,000 :shocked:

It looks like I'll have to save up to buy that one!

Philip

PS Perhaps eBay should have a Humor section...

Then they've dropped the price from about a year ago.
It was at $ 39,000 back then.
Must be a refelection on the state of the economy - the market for these things just isn't what it used to be.

Yes, it is nonsense / joke / humor !

Many have commented on it in the past.

Supposedly it is a "special" one.

For "free" or maybe $50 is the usual - but may not be
in real working condition & no boot disk even, but that is part of the fun of our hobby !

Frank

And it's not just ebay. Our Trade me auction site here in New Zealand has a basic Sinclair Spectrum that appears from time to time. It's been appearing there on and off for about two years! From memory the reserve price started at about $790 and is now down to $500 or so. No where near as extreme as the Kaypro example and unlike that, it doesn't seem to be a joke.

Spectrums come up quite regularly here. For the basic unit in good condition with no accessories or software you might get between $30 to $70 depending on who is bidding.

I guess some folk just hope for a bite from someone who doesn't know the normal market price and wants a unit right now, rather than waiting. Still, it costs them every time they re-list.

1 NZ dollar buys about 0.71 US for those who might want to compare.

Tez

Then they've dropped the price from about a year ago.
It was at $ 39,000 back then.
Must be a refelection on the state of the economy - the market for these things just isn't what it used to be.

I remember when it was $45,000. (wow...time flies)

I like to use that to show my wife how valuable my computer collection is.

I have a kaypro II in wonderful working order, I will even make it rare by signing it (only one out there with my signature on it!) You can have it for the low low price of 1995.00, but wait, if you buy now I will throw in a SECOND Kaypro II at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!

Just call me the Billie Mays of retrocomputing :)

-Lance

I have a kaypro II in wonderful working order, I will even make it rare by signing it (only one out there with my signature on it!) You can have it for the low low price of 1995.00, but wait, if you buy now I will throw in a SECOND Kaypro II at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!

Just call me the Billie Mays of retrocomputing :)

-Lance

That is funny. Remember what P.T. Barnum said "There is a sucker born every minute". Or the W.C. Fields quote: "Never give a sucker an even break!"
There should be a law that forces ebay to put these quotes on its home page.
-Dave

I remember when it was $45,000. (wow...time flies)

I like to use that to show my wife how valuable my computer collection is.

New life to a REALLY old thread...
Followed your thread on the amiga forum.

If you're in need of Irix, let me know.
You know what proc it has, ie R4400/R4600/R5000?
R5000 came in r500/150PC, and R5000/180SC - SC was WAY faster (relative, in this day of 3ghz cpu's) due to it's secondary cache, hence 'SC'

Shark - you are back !

Any details on your absence or just none of our business ? That is fine !

But we missed you !

Lot of "Shark" type questions since you were gone - many unanswered well, since you were not here.

Frank

Back