• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

FA: CMD FD-2000 Floppy Drive

I had to come back here to rant. This drive sold on Ebay and I dropped it off 10 days ago, where it was promptly lost by the post office. Multiple queries by phone and on the internet get NO RESPONSE AT ALL. I can't believe how little USPS cares. I finally physically went to our main post office in Des Moines where the box was last seen, and the lady was fairly pleasant, but she also acted like it was too late to locate the package after 10 days.

Finally, when I complained about calling their office twice and leaving a message and never getting a return call, she said "Yeah, the guy who gets those messages is out for a month." "Okay", I said, "But shouldn't someone be checking those messages?" "Well, in a perfect world, yes, but I have enough of my own voice mails to take care of", she replied. Oh. Well, never mind then! So much for customer service. Just another USPS employee saying "Not my job!", which has been the theme of this whole thing.

To make matters worse, I neglected to check the box to add additional insurance, so the claim will get me $50 max. Very expensive lesson learned, and a very cool piece of Commodore history lost. I've never lost anything in shipping before, and it had to happen on something so valuable.....

No tracking? Just to see where it was last scanned would help.

Yeah, you'd think so, but that's not how it worked. The first and only item in the tracking history was "Arrived at USPS Origin Facility" in Des Moines, IA. This is our main post office. After that, nothing. I started inquiries 3 days after shipping, and got nowhere.

Ouch!, talk about Murphy's law!. Sorry to hear that...

Not sure about how USPS works; but can't you raise a claim to open an investigation about the parcel?
If they stated "Arrived at..." it must be indeed in Des Moines, maybe they'll take some time to sort out missing shipments, if there's a claim opened they'll get back to you.

Very sorry to hear this.

I've worked for the government before, and this unfortunately is the general government employee mentality (of course there are exceptions). When I was hired, I got so frustrated going through the whole mess of paperwork. Each step requires a different department and different contact person, and people were frequently off or on leave, and when they're gone, guess what - no one fills in!

They're not driven by results. Most just do the absolute minimum because no-one can get fired from a government job.

Again, sorry to hear of your troubles.

Well, wonders never cease. My package suddenly turned up and is showing "out for delivery". Now if the postman at the destination is not abducted by aliens, it should actually be delivered today! Only 12 days from Iowa to Michigan via Priority Mail!

It's been my experience that the Post office tracking gives you no information between the dropped off to the out for delivery stage, so there's usually a long period with no feedback. Suppose that's what happened here?

$300+ and you didn't get extra insurance? lol

If you had asked me if I had gotten insurance before there was a problem, I would have answered "Of Course!". Somehow I just missed it. I won't again. At least this story has a happy ending. The gentleman who bought it finally got it in undamaged condition, which makes me sleep better at night.

I would be unhappy if the item got lost (if it was mine) because they are not that common, loosing the money would just add salt to the wound.

Back