• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Facebook - promoting yourself to the World! :-D

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Just found this interesting story and comments about facebook opening up to public searches. This seems to be history now, though I've only mentioned this because I typed in a full name of someone I know into Google and their name lit up like a Christmas Tree! The story I found relates greatly on the information we provide and how we provide it. Facebook has some kind of concealed way of hiding yourself - which unless you wish to remain private after 30 days will reveal all, after reading some of those comments though it sounds like some people reveal it's not like that at all and you don't get 30 days. I felt some people had a point in relation to information you have on that system, if it's private information, don't use it - though as usual I have some "what if" concerns, which keep me away from using such a service or simular ones - after all I found someone I know on this system (without effort), it may well be you're worst nightmare from the past finds you and then what?!

However, there's many ways people can find you on the Internet & even looking hard on this forum you'd find my real name - searching Google groups reveals some more of me and even on Web based sites which have collected Usenet conversations (excluding google groups for instance) will also reveal me, my email - which still gets spammed (not as much as what it used to) is also there for the World to see! :-D So until I change my ISP or stop using that email address, it'll play a vital role into what I've been doing since the late 90s! :-o

I guess the only thing which puzzles me about Facebook is the people who choose to go Private in that service, doesn't it beat the purpose of Facebook? I guess if you're like me and worry about your past coming back to haunt you because you're different from everyone else in the school, stay away from it - though it's a bit of a borderline thing I guess, move on with your life some might say or have the past haunt you. Personally I'm old fashioned so I make friends from people I meet personally, seems to work! :-D

Anyway read the story and accompanied comments and post some feedback here if you want! :-D

I don't use Facebook. I find this forum takes up virtually any "social networking" time I have! That, my computer site in the signature below and my music page is enough for me (and even the latter hasn't been updated for ages...a Facebook page would suffer the same fate).

Tez

Facebook

Facebook

the article said...strike fear in the hearts of entrepreneurs behind people-search startups
I seriously doubt that, as the already well-established people startups will just integrate facebook's public search into their products. Most of these seem to root around in public records for court records, history of residence, and the like. I don't think there's all that much to be had from a facebook public search to begin with, but that's just my impression.
I'm sure some facebook users would have a different opinion.
Personally, I don't use Facebook as I'm not particularily social. I think you're bonkers if you put your personal information on something like Facebook to begin with, but that's just me.
My wife does, however, does use it. She teaches up here at the college, and puts on it stuff for her students for certain classess.

patscc

Terry Yager wrote:

What's a FaceBook?

I don't really know all that much about it, though it's a Website which allows people to connect with other people - you can have images on it and when you sign up (which I dare not do), a lot more information can be obtained. Last year (2007) they announced this Public Search which allows people to simply enter a name into your favourite search engine (or on their website) and find them that way. You can have the option of going private, though I guess nobody will be able to find you - which kind of defeats the purpose of having it. Not sure what happens if you do go Private and connect with someone who's public - it may simply mean that only that person can see you - I'm not sure.
Anyway I didn't want to join cause the person I found on it might stress them out and exculate tension or even have a court ruling against me! :-o It's not my intension to generate any of those things, even if I see them again I won't mention it. Hope it doesn't get messy though!

Put simply it's the White Pages for the Internet (even though it's on the 'net), this allows People to become more contactable - linking you with other friends. Find more friends on there perhaps. I guess it's like this forum I come here and talk to the people here, people would go to those pages, talk to their friends etc - guess it's the modern way of going down to the lcoal tavern after work and having a couple of Beers! :-D

Yeah, but, if you are in your local tavern and you say something REALLY stupid, everyone is usually too drunk to even remember.

On a "social network" (something like a "social disease", but electronic) it's there for the whole world to see (and cached for posterity).

I'm not social and, if I'm feeling stupid enough to plaster all my identity for the world to steal somewhere, I'll have them sky-write it with CFCs in the ozone layer.

Its basically for people who can't figure out how to use that free webspace or blog that comes with their internet account. People lack internet smarts.

More important, people are lonely. But it's a slippery slope... next thing you'd find me looking forward to the mail addressed to "the householder" (somebody loves me!) ... and sitting down with a cup of coffee and enjoying a conversation with a telemarketer. I'd hate to be diagnosed as Facebook Positive.

Social networking

Social networking

Druid6900 said...and cached for posterity

I still run into people that are amazed email gets archived.
What scares me are the number of gov & corp types that appearantly haven't figured this out yet.

I have my own theory about social networking, if anyone's interested. And if not, turn the page...
I think people hooked on Facebook, and people with their mobiles glued to their ear all the time are basically people that can't stand to be left alone with their own thoughts. Or lack thereof.
That said, if you're the only Goth in the village, Facebook has it's uses.

Ole Juul said...mail addressed to "the householder"
Unfortunately, all I get has my name on it, and it's typically from people that want money.

How much access does the government have to something like Facebook, anyway ? Do they need a subpoena, or do they just ask, kinda like with the ISP's a few years back ?

patscc

Strangely enough there's a big newspaper story about the Internet - the big Government initative to control the Internet and protect the public. Facebook was one of the sites under review, YouTube & MySpace also gets a mention and another I'm not familiar with. Not sure how they can control such things, though it was mentioned that Broadband would be a lot slower as a result. To restrict certain sites to us is in violation of free speech though regardless of what the site contains!

Interesting theory, not sure I follow it completely though (as I only know so much about Facebook). I only use my mobile phone when I have to, sure I might send the odd text message to friends from time to time, though I wouldn't say I've got the darn thing glued to my ear - not that I like them all that much! Sometimes I cannot resist responding to something though - hence all the rants I make! :-D

Terry Yager wrote:

Free speech? Y'all still have that in Oz?

Hmm, perhaps not!! However while the system is up the creek, it's every man, women & dog for themselves! :-D

Posting my Face on Facebook though maybe a violation in itself! ;-)

Have the FBI gone to the trouble of preparing a portfolio for you Terry?

Oiy, I can't be bothered with Facebook. As someone said earlier, a couple of sites such as this one now take up my 'social' time on the net, and I'd rather talk to people here with the same interests anyway :) I don't trust facebook and similar sites...perhaps I'm bitter because of the fight we lost recently at work to try and get it restricted on some of the computers, lol. Until the whole 'facebook virus' thing cooled down we wanted to curtail it, but management wouldn't support us in it unfortunately :)

...perhaps I'm bitter because of the fight we lost recently at work to try and get it restricted on some of the computers, lol. Until the whole 'facebook virus' thing cooled down we wanted to curtail it, but management wouldn't support us in it unfortunately :)

Must be that pesky 'Free Speech' thing again...

--T

Last edited:
Terry Yager wrote:

Portfolio? Hell, it's a whole filing cabinet!

That sounds rather nice of them! :-D

Last time they showed me my 'Unfavorable Information File', it was >3 inches thick...and that was back in 1973! (Remember all those things your teachers used to threaten would go into your 'Permanent Record'? They meant it!)

--T

docred wrote:

Oiy, I can't be bothered with Facebook. As someone said earlier, a couple of sites such as this one now take up my 'social' time on the net, and I'd rather talk to people here with the same interests anyway :) I don't trust facebook and similar sites...perhaps I'm bitter because of the fight we lost recently at work to try and get it restricted on some of the computers, lol. Until the whole 'facebook virus' thing cooled down we wanted to curtail it, but management wouldn't support us in it unfortunately :)

When I consider it actually, the Internet has changed a bit since I first started using it. It used to be Usenet though would take time - from all the messages generated - Websites used to be something you'd take information off for your own research & download software, though now there's all kinds of things you can interact from them.

I'm still not 100% on what Facebook offers exactly apart from linking Friends and Family to a profile page, having some images in there - there maybe facilities to chat or post messages on like a Forum, though I'm not sure, fortunately I'm 100% sure that I don't really want to be there for many different reasons - though it makes me wonder, wonder how people interact in person.
I used to get people asking me to sign up for all kinds of things, though I just stuck with the humble email - there's other things which allow you to talk through your own computer, etc, though at the time it was a bit too complicated for my old computer. In more recent times a friend I met in the Environment was talking about an Environmental discussion group which was a service accessable through Yahoo, I signed up for that, though it's a site I usually forget to visit cause not a lot happens there. I guess people generally don't talk about the Internet even though the Internet is what we use in common day practice. So it's not like all your friends you have in person will talk about the best places to visit, or can I get your email and talk like that.
FaceBook tries to bridge that gap of having close people connected to you on their site, it looked a little bit like a popularity contest to see who's got the most friends and can we get some more - Facebook is perhaps devious in that way in that it tries to get more and more people connected.

Anyway I guess that's why I started to post about Facebook, cause I'm trying to understand what's going in peoples heads when they are signing for it, it maybe family or friends which get them involved and What is the practice people expect when they want you to become involved with that site. Is it purely common practice for anyone to join, find someone they know and link with them or what?

How's that for some difficult to answer questions!? :-D

Terry Yager wrote:

Last time they showed me my 'Unfavorable Information File', it was >3 inches thick...and that was back in 1973! (Remember all those things your teachers used to threaten would go into your 'Permanent Record'? They meant it!)

Oooh yeah!?! Not that I had any teachers tap me on the shoulder and say this is Permanent Record stuff. I guess the worst thing I'd ever produced and it was a surprised they didn't lock me away for good was my English written exam back in 1996. It was shocking!! Though at the time I guess I had more things on my mind regarding people & relationships, than my English exam! :-o In recent years I read some of that stuff I produced and to be frank it's shocking - perhaps my writing is no better to read now since Proof reading isn't my greatest strength.

Back