• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

FEMA

FEMA isn't as scary as HSA. Reminds me of Germany in the 1930's. It's intended to be for the good, but it will only take one bad leader to turn it into the SA.

Tachyon

Funny, I talked to at least four different people today, including one M.D., two MSWs, and one Health Care Administrator, and they all think I'm delusional (but, of course, I don't believe any of em...they're either under-informed, or perhaps a part of the conspiracy. The MD works for the VA, both social workers work at Community Mental Health, and the Administrator (who also happens to be my G/F) works for FEMA...all Government Agencies)...

--T

~~WARNING-LONG RANT~~

FEMA has the serious potential to be very VERY scary- but so far it has remained in the hands of career civil servants w/o political agendas. Given the high concentration of trailer parks here in the homeland (Oklahoma) we tend to have more than our fair share of tornados- FEMA is a regular visitor to Oklahoma and they haven't tried to take us over yet.
But then again- who wants a state that has had the only witch trial in the US in over 200 years?

HSA in its current form is about like a 150# rotwieller with no teeth (you seen their budget?) They can't exactly bite but if they build up some momentum they'll defiantly knock you around a bit. I agree that they seem a little 30's germanish but what really gets me is a quote by Herr Bush on the creation of the HSA- consider these and try to figure out who said what-
"“An evil exists that threatens every man, woman and child of this great nation. We must take steps to insure our domestic security and protect our homeland."

and then

""Our first priority must always be the security of our nation… We will win this war; we'll protect our homeland"

----
Ok- the first one was Hitler on the creation of the Gestapo and the second Bush. The first time I saw this I had to stop and think which was which, then I remembered that Hitler, for all his hideous faults, was 1000 times the orator "our president" is, meaning the shorter one with the easier words was Bush's quote.

The true evil that MUST be countered is what gives the HSA some of its power- that damnable Patriot Act. While it does contain a few long-over due and useful items, like rolling search warrants most of the other provisions are just down right terrifying.
Consider this, one of us posts an answer to a question posed in the boards. Those posts are later found on the computer of someone who has committed a terrorist act. Guess what- the person who posted the answer and Erik, as the board owner/moderator could very well get tossed in prison for providing "material and expert assistance" to a terrorist and the rest of us wind up on the Group W bench. Don't think could happen? Remember the PA was drafted in part by the same Whitehouse tard that decided that the Geneve Conventions were out of date and did not apply to our "War on Terror"

Personally I think Bill Gates was behind this particular inclusion in the PA to hobble the user-to-user support network for Linux, but that’s a whole other conspiracy theory of mine.

I hope and pray that we can make it through the next 4 years w/o managing to piss off the few friends this nation still has. Just about anyone has got to be better than this.

I knew that DHS/FEMA had a secret police organization, but I never knew they have an overt para-military/police wing until I found myself in thier clutches after trying to cross the border into Canadia. Now, I've breeched that border dozens of times without incident, even been busted with drugs and illeagal weapons, but only once have I ever been turned back, and that was for not having enough money on me (but that's a whole 'nother story). For some reason tho, they flagged me, and after Canadian immigrations decided that desperate fellons like me didn't belong in thier country, they turned me over to American immigrations, where I was kept in a locked room filled with heavily-armed people in blue fatigue-type uniforms, with the trousers bloused over the tops of shiny-new jackboots, sporting badges which identified them as DHS employees. Fortunately, they couldn't find any excuse to keep me, and after about 45 minutes, they let me go back into the good ol' USA again. Yeah, DHS & FEMA are scary all right, but they wouldn't be nearly as powerful without laws like the USAPatriot Act and FISA, even though they were not created by any law in the conventional sense, but by Executive Order, which carries the weight of law, without having to deal with the messiness of actual legislative process.

--T

Terry Yager said:
Achtung! Sneaky lil' devils. I hate when they do that.

--T

It's interesting that you see it only as an abridgement of democratic principals. A sneaky way that the fundamentalist right introduced a measure which goes against all the principals on which your country was founded. A slick move which benefitted a minority of control freaks.

But then again there are times when one has to pull their neck in, lest it be cut off, and I can understand that especially in this era of the HSA.
One of the advantages of being elderly is that one can die suddenly whether by the ravages of natural deteriorization or by the state power.
No matter the agent, one can be adventuresome since the outcome is inevitable. Sooner or later, same end.
L.

At one time the US Declaration of Independance was viewed by many peoples in the world as a beacon of light. Later on it was tarnished by the rapacious pirates of capitalism such as Carnegie, Rockefeller, and others such as Henry Ford who was an admirer of Hitler and funded a Nazi paper, the partnership of the Bush patriarch with German industialists in the slave-labor camps of Nazi Germany, or even the basis of the Kennedy fortune founded on sales of scrap metal to Germany which rained down on Europe as bombs. But generally thru-out it's history the US populace has made the adjustments necessary to counter the power of the oligarchy.

True, US foreign policy resulted in the Monroe doctrine, support for Latin American dictators as long as they didn't hinder corporate profits, from
US Fruit or Anaconda Copper, which policies continue today, the School of the Americas which trained the dictators death sqads, and the various CIA ventures to overthrow any democratic regime which might hinder US colonial profit, but one always had the belief that the US citizenry would right these wrongs if only they knew the truth.

However as control of mass media in the US has been concentrated in a few large corporations, and fundamental christianity with it's appocolypse-centred "Rapture" has captured the GOP, the US "Empire" with its mighty military machine and vast economic power has become anathema to most of the worlds people. It's descent to fascism is quite visable. And it seems like the US populace supports these aberrations.

I live in Canada, my parents were both born in the US and I likely have a claim to dual-citizenship. I lived in Boston for 2 years and married a black woman from the Bronx who gave me 4 sons and now 9 grandchildrern, all who live in Canada. I participated in the civil rights struggle as well as the protests against the War in Viet-Nam both of which involved considerable physical danger including my wife and I being forced over a 15' wall in New York by club-weilding police. I have many friends and relatives in the US and have always viewed us as having a common bond. Unfortunately it becomes more difficult to not view most americans in the same light I've viewed the dysfunctionals of the KKK.

It would be a luxury if I was only able to say "let them go to hell in a basket" but unfortunately, unlike Europe, our media is closely tied to this monster south of us, and the same media conglomerates that brainwash most americans slop over in the form of FOX, CNN, and the Movies. Despite this assault, Canadians retain a heathy skeptism to present-day US values,(a huge majority oppose the US invasion of Iraq) but just like Austria succumbed to German fascist ideology it's edgy and I can only hope that the US regains it's sanity before Canada loses it's own.

I don't think most americans fully realise, and even dismiss, the depth of foreign feeling against the policies of the Bush regime and the apprehension of the changes in US society.

It should be taken seriously, because the US is becoming a pariah and it will take many years to overcome this perception. Like many canadians, I now refuse to visit the US, tho I grew up as a teenager, heading down to a bar in North Dakota on Saturday nights to drink and eat the great hamburgers at Larry's Bar in Minot and party with people like ourselves.
Things change.

Micom2K

Micom 2000 said:
Terry Yager said:
Achtung! Sneaky lil' devils. I hate when they do that.

--T

It's interesting that you see it only as an abridgement of democratic principals. A sneaky way that the fundamentalist right introduced a measure which goes against all the principals on which your country was founded. A slick move which benefitted a minority of control freaks.

Usually, it's just plain ol' pork that gets snuck in as a rider like that. Once in awhile, it's something truly malevolent tho. I'm sure you have the same kinda problems up in the FrozenNorth, but I don't really follow Canadian politics much (I have enough trouble keeping track of the (double) dealings here at home).

But then again there are times when one has to pull their neck in, lest it be cut off, and I can understand that especially in this era of the HSA.
One of the advantages of being elderly is that one can die suddenly whether by the ravages of natural deteriorization or by the state power.
No matter the agent, one can be adventuresome since the outcome is inevitable. Sooner or later, same end.

Of course, the disadvantage of being elderly, or in poor health, is that it's easier to silence you. They can just kill you outright, by "natural causes". Being labeled "Mentally Ill" allows me the same advantage of being allowed to speak my mind, but forces them to either dis-credit, or dis-appear me, either course of which is within thier power.

At one time the US Declaration of Independance was viewed by many peoples in the world as a beacon of light. Later on it was tarnished by the rapacious pirates of capitalism such as Carnegie, Rockefeller, and others such as Henry Ford who was an admirer of Hitler and funded a Nazi paper, the partnership of the Bush patriarch with German industialists in the slave-labor camps of Nazi Germany, or even the basis of the Kennedy fortune founded on sales of scrap metal to Germany which rained down on Europe as bombs. But generally thru-out it's history the US populace has made the adjustments necessary to counter the power of the oligarchy.

True, that. Ford was awarded the Third Reich's higest (civilian) medal. He even published an anti-semitic rag, under the guise of house organ. Yes, he was the darling of the Nazis, all right.
I'm glad you have such confidence in our people to overcome evil, but I'm less confidant. The general population of Germany were mostly ghawd-fearing, law-abiding citizens, who allowed thier country to be taken over by a handful of common thugs.

True, US foreign policy resulted in the Monroe doctrine, support for Latin American dictators as long as they didn't hinder corporate profits, from
US Fruit or Anaconda Copper, which policies continue today, the School of the Americas which trained the dictators death sqads, and the various CIA ventures to overthrow any democratic regime which might hinder US colonial profit, but one always had the belief that the US citizenry would right these wrongs if only they knew the truth.

Does Anaconda Copper still own more of Brazil than Brazil does? (Sorry, I'm a little out-of-date on my current events). Unfortunatly, we aren't being fed the truth by the spin-doctors in Washington, or thier cronies in the media. Thankfully, we finally have an outlet that isn't controlled by special interests. Now, for the first time in human history, we have an outlet for true free-speech, a wide-open forum where everyman may present his ideas t a multitude of other prople. If, for some reason someone doesn't like those ideas, they can always hit the "back" button. I get all my propaganda from the Internet these days, and a lot of other people are beginning to see the light as well.

However as control of mass media in the US has been concentrated in a few large corporations, and fundamental christianity with it's appocolypse-centred "Rapture" has captured the GOP, the US "Empire" with its mighty military machine and vast economic power has become anathema to most of the worlds people. It's descent to fascism is quite visable. And it seems like the US populace supports these aberrations.

That's what frightnens those in power about the Net, no one has been able to control (supress) it yet, so mebbe there's some glimmer of hope for us yet, as more of us become better informed, break lockstep, and just say NO! at the polls and elsewhere in our daily lives. I just hope it's not too little, too late.

I live in Canada,

Yes, I'd gathered that from your north-of-50 location. Did you mean the 50th parallel, or 50 years of age? (Or both)?

my parents were both born in the US and I likely have a claim to dual-citizenship. I lived in Boston for 2 years and married a black woman from the Bronx who gave me 4 sons and now 9 grandchildrern, all who live in Canada. I participated in the civil rights struggle as well as the protests against the War in Viet-Nam both of which involved considerable physical danger including my wife and I being forced over a 15' wall in New York by club-weilding police. I have many friends and relatives in the US and have always viewed us as having a common bond. Unfortunately it becomes more difficult to not view most americans in the same light I've viewed the dysfunctionals of the KKK.

The major battles of civil rights were a little before my time, but I'm pretty sure which side I would have taken, had I been a few years older. (As it was, I found myself escaping "up north" and hiding-out with the rest of my family, while Detroit was burning). I was just 13 in '68, and just becoming socially aware. All I could do was listen to the riots on the radio. I couldn't even watch them on TV like the rest of America, television being one of the trappings of civilization which was banished from the cabin. I did have occaision to protest against the War, right up until the time I became of such an age that I had to make the big decision whether or not to join you in Canadia. I chose instead to volunteer before they had a chance to draft me, because I felt I had a better chance of surviving that way than if I were a Regular Army ground-pounder. I was also smart enough to figger out a way to get out as soon as I had put in enough time that I was no longer draftable. That's how I first became labeled MI, in fact, or more precicely, "Passive-aggressive Personality Disorder, compounded by stubborness and resistance to authority." In other words, "unable to adapt to a military lifestyle." (They sure nailed that one). Now I'm a bona-fide veteran with a disability pension; a dependant of the very government I perceive as my greatest threat.

It would be a luxury if I was only able to say "let them go to hell in a basket" but unfortunately, unlike Europe, our media is closely tied to this monster south of us, and the same media conglomerates that brainwash most americans slop over in the form of FOX, CNN, and the Movies. Despite this assault, Canadians retain a heathy skeptism to present-day US values,(a huge majority oppose the US invasion of Iraq) but just like Austria succumbed to German fascist ideology it's edgy and I can only hope that the US regains it's sanity before Canada loses it's own.

Actually, I think the majority of Americans oppose the war too, but you won't get that from CNN, et.al.

I don't think most americans fully realise, and even dismiss, the depth of foreign feeling against the policies of the Bush regime and the apprehension of the changes in US society.

It should be taken seriously, because the US is becoming a pariah and it will take many years to overcome this perception. Like many canadians, I now refuse to visit the US, tho I grew up as a teenager, heading down to a bar in North Dakota on Saturday nights to drink and eat the great hamburgers at Larry's Bar in Minot and party with people like ourselves.
Things change.

Micom2K

Something else you might gather from daNet, but never from CNN, etc. I've always enjoyed my visits to Canadia, especially the people there, but it would appear I'm no longer welcome. Of course, when these domestic passports kick in I just might find myself unwelcome here too. That's what FEMA is building all the concentration camps for. Ya know, the MentallyIll are always among the first to go, especially MentallyIll as defined by, "You must be krazy, not to agree with Kamrad Stalin" (or Herr Hitler, or FearlessLeader, or...).

--T

Back