• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finally got a Rev A 5150!

compaqportableplus

Veteran Member
After many years of wanting one, I finally own an early-revision IBM 5150 PC.

There was a seller with an IBM 5150 on eBay (just a regular Rev B), and it was sitting on a stack of several others, one of which was this Rev A that caught my eye.

So I I figured they were long since sold most likely, but to my surprise when I asked the seller they said they still had all of the other IBMs that were visible!

So I got him to send me more pics of this one and it looked great, and I knew I had finally found what I’ve been looking for, so I told the seller I’d take it and they promptly made a listing for me and I grabbed it immediately!

I wish all sellers were like this. Dealing with them was painless. They were quick to respond to my messages, kind, ship extremely fast and pack things well.

Here is one of the eBay pics showing the inside. I knew I had to own it after seeing this one!

06031D3F-6D40-494F-B3D7-7F48D0D38F9A.jpeg

That black PSU is gorgeous, isn’t it? Looked all stock with the exception of one card and the addition of an NEC V20 CPU.

So the PC arrived yesterday very well secured with foam all around. I was extremely worried about this one getting damaged, but this seller actually cares and made sure that wasn’t possible.

I could see from the eBay pic above of the inside it had a the original MDA display adapter, floppy controller, and an additional card with memory, serial, parallel and a real time clock.

As I expected, the NiCd battery on that card had leaked a little bit, but it wasn’t too bad. There was a tiny bit of corrosion of the motherboard that was easily cleaned off with vinegar. No broken traces.

The card itself, a Quadram QuadBoard from 1982, only ended up having one broken trace from the battery on it, which I repaired.

So I immediately stripped the unit down for cleaning and testing.

To my amazement, aside from floppy drive A:, everything worked fine the first try! How does that even happen? A 40 year old PC, and not even a shorted capacitor or a bad memory chip. Unbelievable.

I didn’t even try the QuadBoard until it was cleaned and repaired, but once I tested it after cleaning and fixing that trace, it now works fine and the machine reports the total of 320KB of RAM! 64KB on the motherboard and 256KB on the QuadBoard.

The A: drive in this machine I believe is the original drive, as it has 1982 date codes. The heads and spindle were completely seized! A few turns of the spindle got that freed up and some oil in the stepper motor helped the head movement it a lot.

Although, in my tinkering with it, somehow the little roller that moves the metal band for the head because loose from the stepper motor. I realized this when I moved the head with my finger and the stepper motor wasn’t turning!

So it was obvious to me why the drive wasn’t working at that point. I got it all tightened back up and re-aligned and it seems to be working fine so far.

I don’t even have an oscilloscope or head alignment disk, I just did the the manual way, turning the adjustment screw until the DOS disk boots successfully.:ROFLMAO:

The B: drive was made in 1985 and was probably a later addition. This machine probably shipped with one drive.

As I stated above, this computer had an NEC V20 installed at some point, but I swapped that back out for an 8088, as I have no interest in running a V20 in here. I want this one to stay mostly stock.

I really wish I could fine an original 8088 with the 1978 copyright and interrupt bug, but I can’t find one at the moment. This computer would have had one originally for sure.

Oh, and it does have the original BIOS chip! It’s the 10/19/81 version. Very happy with that.

And finally, here are my pics of my fully-working 1982 PC.

And no, the monitor and keyboard didn’t come with it, I already had those.

39FB0B8D-6F9F-4323-93B8-008F5D303AC5.jpeg
60D62E42-D854-4F66-A5D4-7CC54DFA4EA1.jpeg32E73382-CD36-44FF-BF10-5E77080B8CB3.jpeg98E4BF51-7BED-44B2-B933-965954FB9F26.jpeg
I can’t believe how relatively easy it was to get it running. I figured there would at least be a shorted cap or bad RAM chip, but there were none! The floppy drive was really the only thing that gave much trouble.

This will be my stock “period correct” 5150. I have a really tricked out Rev B as well. I had a stock Rev B with dual floppies that I sold recently to fund this one (and to make room).

I’m so happy! 😊

I don’t even have an oscilloscope or head alignment disk, I just did the the manual way, turning the adjustment screw until the DOS disk boots successfully.:ROFLMAO:
You probably already know this, but that's not actually an effective way to align the drive. You should avoid writing disks on that drive if you care at all about the ability to interchange them with other machines, or even the other drive in this machine.

You probably already know this, but that's not actually an effective way to align the drive. You should avoid writing disks on that drive if you care at all about the ability to interchange them with other machines, or even the other drive in this machine.
I’m aware. I’m actually curious to do some experiments with writing disks with it and see the results, but for now I’m glad it will at least let me boot the machine. It’s all part of the fun!
Was the price fair?
It was to me! $225 plus shipping. It was untested, but considering the good physical condition of the unit I was pretty sure I’d be able to get it running easily, and I was right! I didn’t think it would be quite this easy through!

After many years of wanting one, I finally own an early-revision IBM 5150 PC.

There was a seller with an IBM 5150 on eBay (just a regular Rev B), and it was sitting on a stack of several others, one of which was this Rev A that caught my eye.

So I I figured they were long since sold most likely, but to my surprise when I asked the seller they said they still had all of the other IBMs that were visible!

So I got him to send me more pics of this one and it looked great, and I knew I had finally found what I’ve been looking for, so I told the seller I’d take it and they promptly made a listing for me and I grabbed it immediately!

I wish all sellers were like this. Dealing with them was painless. They were quick to respond to my messages, kind, ship extremely fast and pack things well.

Here is one of the eBay pics showing the inside. I knew I had to own it after seeing this one!

View attachment 1249793

That black PSU is gorgeous, isn’t it? Looked all stock with the exception of one card and the addition of an NEC V20 CPU.

So the PC arrived yesterday very well secured with foam all around. I was extremely worried about this one getting damaged, but this seller actually cares and made sure that wasn’t possible.

I could see from the eBay pic above of the inside it had a the original MDA display adapter, floppy controller, and an additional card with memory, serial, parallel and a real time clock.

As I expected, the NiCd battery on that card had leaked a little bit, but it wasn’t too bad. There was a tiny bit of corrosion of the motherboard that was easily cleaned off with vinegar. No broken traces.

The card itself, a Quadram QuadBoard from 1982, only ended up having one broken trace from the battery on it, which I repaired.

So I immediately stripped the unit down for cleaning and testing.

To my amazement, aside from floppy drive A:, everything worked fine the first try! How does that even happen? A 40 year old PC, and not even a shorted capacitor or a bad memory chip. Unbelievable.

I didn’t even try the QuadBoard until it was cleaned and repaired, but once I tested it after cleaning and fixing that trace, it now works fine and the machine reports the total of 320KB of RAM! 64KB on the motherboard and 256KB on the QuadBoard.

The A: drive in this machine I believe is the original drive, as it has 1982 date codes. The heads and spindle were completely seized! A few turns of the spindle got that freed up and some oil in the stepper motor helped the head movement it a lot.

Although, in my tinkering with it, somehow the little roller that moves the metal band for the head because loose from the stepper motor. I realized this when I moved the head with my finger and the stepper motor wasn’t turning!

So it was obvious to me why the drive wasn’t working at that point. I got it all tightened back up and re-aligned and it seems to be working fine so far.

The B: drive was made in 1985 and was probably a later addition. This machine probably shipped with one drive.

As I stated above, this computer had an NEC V20 installed at some point, but I swapped that back out for an 8088, as I have no interest in running a V20 in here. I want this one to stay mostly stock.

I really wish I could fine an original 8088 with the 1978 copyright and interrupt bug, but I can’t find one at the moment. This computer would have had one originally for sure.

Oh, and it does have the original BIOS chip! It’s the 10/19/81 version. Very happy with that.

And finally, here are my pics of my fully-working 1982 PC.

And no, the monitor and keyboard didn’t come with it, I already had those.

View attachment 1249794
View attachment 1249795View attachment 1249796View attachment 1249797
I can’t believe how relatively easy it was to get it running. I figured there would at least be a shorted cap or bad RAM chip, but there were none! The floppy drive was really the only thing that gave much trouble.

This will be my stock “period correct” 5150. I have a really tricked out Rev B as well. I had a stock Rev B with dual floppies that I sold recently to fund this one (and to make room).

I’m so happy! 😊
How does one identify a Rev 'A' vs. Rev 'B' externally? I have a couple in storage I haven't opened up yet and thought I would check.

How does one identify a Rev 'A' vs. Rev 'B' externally? I have a couple in storage I haven't opened up yet and thought I would check.
I hate the term REV A so much. Just seems too much like something in Apples' Camp.

Its the first series of the 5150 which has a few determinging aspecsts which make it easy to identify. Black Power supply, 16KB-64KB motherboard (as opposed to the later 256kb motherboard), and the case only has two screws on the back to secure the cover instead of 5 screws on the later revision. The first two versions of the bios only work with floppy drives and dont allow cards with thier own onboard bios to initialize ( you would need to upgrade to the 3rd revision of the bios to get that). I repaired my early 5150 this year and learned alot about them. Facinating for the first Pc compatible.

I think the A is just a retronym because the case on the later systems really does have a letter B in a circle on it. But I’m not sure if IBM was really trying to give letters for models or if that means something completely unrelated.

I think the A is just a retronym because the case on the later systems really does have a letter B in a circle on it. But I’m not sure if IBM was really trying to give letters for models or if that means something completely unrelated.
Correct. The “B” means that’s it’s the revised unit with the 64KB-256KB system board. Revision “A” was never a term used by IBM I don’t believe.

I do believe that the “B” is mentioned in the IBM service manual as a way to identify that you are dealing with a 64KB-256KB system, but I could be wrong.

Correct. The “B” means that’s it’s the revised unit with the 64KB-256KB system board. Revision “A” was never a term used by IBM I don’t believe.

I do believe that the “B” is mentioned in the IBM service manual as a way to identify that you are dealing with a 64KB-256KB system, but I could be wrong.
Didnt it have something to do with the bios version?

Didnt it have something to do with the bios version?
The “B” has to do mostly with the motherboard I think, since that’s the only real functional difference there is. The 256KB board has more differences than just the BIOS. It uses 4164 ram chips whereas the 64KB board uses 4116 RAM chips, which are not pin compatible with 4164s or vice versa.

All “B” systems had the 10/27/82 BIOS version from the factory, but all “A” units had either the 4/24/81 or 10/19/81 version. Many early ones were upgraded to the ‘82 version in order to support hard drive controllers and such.

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that the 'B' denoted the Motherboard type as well, But i can't remember where i read it, I'm not sure if it was from some official IBM source or unofficial source, My later model 5150 64 - 256KB does not have that 'B' on the back, I know the history of my 5150 as i'm the second owner.

I'm sure i have seen that 'B' on the XT 5160's before but none of mine have it either, 256 - 512Kb or 256 - 640KB.

Interesting. Now we need to check a few more and see if we can see some sort of pattern, like UK vs USA build labels, etc.

I hit you up on FB as well. I've got a spare '78 I don't mind parting with if you take care of shipping, just message me.

Well I learned that having the original ROM makes the machine utterly useless so I had to install the 82 ROM just to use the machine. I am keeping the 10/81 ROM with my machine just to keep it original.

And on the issue of CPUS. Call me crazy.. I am a big AMD fan, so I prefer the AMD 8088 in my early IBM hardware. That is if I havent added an NEC cpu in it.

I hit you up on FB as well. I've got a spare '78 I don't mind parting with if you take care of shipping, just message me.
Hey there! Definitely interested in that 8088! I’ll PM you.
Well I learned that having the original ROM makes the machine utterly useless so I had to install the 82 ROM just to use the machine. I am keeping the 10/81 ROM with my machine just to keep it original.

And on the issue of CPUS. Call me crazy.. I am a big AMD fan, so I prefer the AMD 8088 in my early IBM hardware. That is if I havent added an NEC cpu in it.
We’re you trying to use a hard drive controller or EGA/VGA video card? I know for a fact the early BIOS doesn’t support cards like those with option ROMs. I have no intent on adding any of those to mine so I don’t see the need to upgrade the BIOS really.

Hey there! Definitely interested in that 8088! I’ll PM you.

We’re you trying to use a hard drive controller or EGA/VGA video card? I know for a fact the early BIOS doesn’t support cards like those with option ROMs. I have no intent on adding any of those to mine so I don’t see the need to upgrade the BIOS really.
SCSI card, VGA card, XT-IDE, doesnt matter none will work. Nothing works besides passive cards.

I needed to pop in a VGA card as I only keep two monitors on my work bench.. A Monochrome composite input monitor and an older small 4:3 LCD VGA. I have the least use for an RGB/CGA monitor when I am fixing things so I dont keep one on hand.

SCSI card, VGA card, XT-IDE, doesnt matter none will work. Nothing works besides passive cards.

I needed to pop in a VGA card as I only keep two monitors on my work bench.. A Monochrome composite input monitor and an older small 4:3 LCD VGA. I have the least use for an RGB/CGA monitor when I am fixing things so I dont keep one on hand.
Yeah, those cards definitely won’t work with the original two BIOS versions. Nothing wrong with upgrading it if you need to, just make sure to keep track of the original chip!

Congrats on your new find, it's impressive. I really enjoy the way you describe your adventures making it a good read! :)
I have two Rev.A systems, one that I bought new back in March.'82. Sadly, that systems motherboard is currently shelved as my abilities limit repairs to caps and memory chips. It's now using a 64-256 board I successfully repaired. Both contained the '82 BIOS and upgraded power supplies. Looking back, of course I wish I'd saved all the old stuff but back then it was such a rewarding upgrade to do and opened up so many options.
It's impressive seeing that power supply in yours and the chassis in such great shape. Like you've said, the build quality is very impressive. I limit my small collection to these and the early Compaq's too as they also exhibit similar solid construction and great documentation too. But, as I type on my early Model M here I'm sure you'll agree, IBM keyboards were far superior to Compaqs.

Congrats on your new find, it's impressive. I really enjoy the way you describe your adventures making it a good read! :)
I have two Rev.A systems, one that I bought new back in March.'82. Sadly, that systems motherboard is currently shelved as my abilities limit repairs to caps and memory chips. It's now using a 64-256 board I successfully repaired. Both contained the '82 BIOS and upgraded power supplies. Looking back, of course I wish I'd saved all the old stuff but back then it was such a rewarding upgrade to do and opened up so many options.
It's impressive seeing that power supply in yours and the chassis in such great shape. Like you've said, the build quality is very impressive. I limit my small collection to these and the early Compaq's too as they also exhibit similar solid construction and great documentation too. But, as I type on my early Model M here I'm sure you'll agree, IBM keyboards were far superior to Compaqs.
Thanks! I tried my best to thoroughly describe everything, glad you enjoyed it!

Cool that you have two Rev As! Really cool that you’ve had one since new! Shame the original motherboard isn’t working, but I’m sure you’ll get it fixed someday.

Yeah, I definitely don’t blame you for doing those upgrades back then, I can totally understand why you wanted to upgrade them at the time!

Yes, the old Compaqs are also of incredible build quality (I have quite a few!). The early Deskpros actually weight MORE than these IBMs!

When it comes to keyboards I’m not too picky. I love my IBM clicky keyboards but I also love typing on my Compaq Portable! I enjoy them all. (y)

Back