• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finally picked up a Thinkpad 755CD

Tiberian Fiend

Veteran Member
I'm kind of disappointed to find it can only hold a CD-ROM drive or a floppy drive, but not both. Other than that, it's a nice computer. I have a couple of questions, though. Is there a special method to release the keyboard latch to access the inside of the computer? Also, the CD-ROM drive barely opens when it ejects the disc, and when on a slight incline, it doesn't open at all. Is there any way to fix this?

Also, the CD-ROM drive barely opens when it ejects the disc, and when on a slight incline, it doesn't open at all. Is there any way to fix this?
If that were my machine, I'd be pulling apart the drive, primarily looking for either/both:
1. A spring that has lost some of it's spring;
2. Grease that has deteriated over the years.

The 755CD is a great computer. To get inside the machine push the 2 latches on the side of the machine used to pop the lip open all the way towards you untill you hear them snap (lock into place), this will release the keyboard so it pops up revealing the CDROM, battery, and HD.

No, but there are external floppy drives with a cable that connects to the back on the unit (bootable). You can also remove the internal CDROM and drop in a floppy if you want to install an OS based on floppies.

I had one of those and used it till it literally fell apart, one of the best old 486 based laptops I've ever owned before I started using newer ones.

Had mine tricked out with Windows 98 and 48MB of RAM, used it on the job, paid for itself in a week.

in certain Operating systems the floppy drive and CD-ROM are hot-swappable, I used to do this to install MS-DOS/WFWG 3.11 on my machine using the CD-ROM for WFWG, as well as booting from the floppy drive to insall Windows 98 SE from the CD-ROM. ALSO, these laptops can take Lithium Ion batteries (I had one in mine) and can get as much as 2.5 hours of battery life off of such a battery, and some modern multi-use power Supplies (i-go in particular, sold at Radio Shack) work with them.

Ah, so they are hot-swappable. My computer came with the floppy drive and adapter. Will any external Thinkpad floppy work on it? They all seem to be pretty much the same.

They are not all the same, mostly differing on cable ends (I have 3 or 4 different ones in the collection).

Back