• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finally....the IBM PS/2 Model 95

NeXT

Veteran Member
This has been a Work in Progress for almost a decade. For anyone that hasn't followed along over the years I have never really had Much luck with these machines. Repeatedly I would find one yet it always seemed at the last moment something would come up and it would fall out of reach. Falling off a bench, left in the rain, left at the old house while moving across a country.....even one guy who felt I was nickle-and-diming him because I was so ecstatic and gave him the few extra bucks in my paypal that he turned right around and sent it off for recycling....Douche.
So finally this machine in particular shows up on ebay. Was mentioned right here in the forums. Finally decided the bloody hell with it because every other machine that sold recently fetched some dumb sum and bid $400 and finished the night with a mickey of rum. As luck would have it the listing closed at only $120 and finally it was in the mail and on the road after another $80 in shipping. Finally it was happening.
Fast forward a month and the package finally arrives from Jacksonville.

CGS_0510.jpg

CGS_0513.jpg

CGS_0514.jpg

CGS_0527.jpg

CGS_0526.jpg

To those out there who want to ship a computer in the future THIS IS NOT HOW YOU SHIP A COMPUTER. Sure, the sheet metal sides were protected with bits of foam but the plastic clad front and back were protected much like the rest of the case and that is with bunched up balls of antistatic bags. Needless to say the front and back ended up pretty well brutalized.
As for repairing them, I'll leave them as-is until Paypal gets back me on my claims but being I'm not too iffy about things being perfect I might be able to put them back together with epoxy and acetone. Failing that, bear said he might have spares to offer (thanks for the heads up).
AAAAANYWAYS, I got nothing but good reasons to play with this machine....and I got LOTS of goodies to install. The three big things about the model 95 is it used a full-fledged 486 or even a Pentium, supported LOTS of ram and had EIGHT 32-bit MCA slots for you to fill with whatever you wanted.

CGS_0515.jpg

From the factory my 8595 shipped with the Type 2 processor complex. It has a 25mhz 486 and in the upgrade socket bearing IBM branding is an Overdrive DX2-5o CPU. This is all the board has to offer. Years back however I was able to get the much more powerful (and bigger) Type 3 complex. It comes with a 50mhx CPU by default BUT also gives you an extra 256kb of L2 cache. The CPU is socketed. The theory is that after some more experimenting and testing we will attempt to fit a MUCH baster chip on like the pictures Kingston Am5x86 TurboChip.
The major downside however is in the transition you lose support for 72 pin parity DRAM and gain the requirement that your ram be 72 pin (40 bit?) ECC DRAM. Heavens knows where you find that.

CGS_0517.jpg

I'm keeping the old SCSI controller. I have an Adaptec card with a much more useable HD50 connector on the back but I'm after speed. There's a method of modifying regular 1mb SIMMS so you can give this controller 2mb of cache which has been show to REALLY speed up performance on small files.

CGS_0518.jpg

Amazingly I have a sound card. Originally it was in my RS/6000 however I really cannot think of any practical uses for such a card under AIX so we'll use it in this machine instead. I think there's nothing special about the card considering it came out of an RS/6000.

CGS_0519.jpg

I also have for some reason a Microchannel interface for GPIB. I can't off the top of my head thing of a valid use right now but meh, lets make use of those slots!

CGS_0521.jpg

Networking will be provided by a NEW Etherstream adapter. Even has the reference diskette in the box.

CGS_0520.jpg

I bought this on a whim three years ago. It's an extra serial and parallel port for an MCA machine. I always joked as to why you would ever need one but I'll need it here so I can run a modem and a digitizer.

CGS_0516.jpg

Finally, the best cards. At the top we have out conventional XGA-II card for flicker-free video at high resolutions and 2D acceleration. The two cards at the bottom however is this machine's 3D muscle. This is the microchannel version of Silicon Graphic's IrisVision. Like the much later Voodoo 2 there is a passthrough cable from the XGA card to the IrisVision, then an RGB cable leaves that and runs to your (sync on green compatible) monitor. I have all the developer documentation, the cables and ALL of the software, reference diskettes and GL demos. The only thing I DO NOT have is the OS/2 driver which means that I'll be stuck to MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 exclusively for the card unfortunately. I can't find the driver ANYWHERE! :(

CGS_0522.jpg

The 1.44mb floppy drive will be upgraded to 2.88mb as I have a spare handy.

CGS_0523.jpg

I don't have the extra rails or appropriate bezel to internally mount a CD-ROM in the machine unfortunately. Same for Magneto Optical. However I do still have an external IBM caddy loading drive. I'll have to source one of those annoying Microcen60 SCSI cables.

CGS_0524.jpg

Finally to bring it all together we have a Calcomp serial tablet and AutoCAD 12 with the 3D AME. The IrisVision includes a driver for AutoCad so this machine can function a a full-fledged CAD machine with lots of ram, a fast CPU, a fast disk, a large digitizer and an EXTREMELY powerful video card.

As for an OS combination, I'm on the fence. I'm not completely knowledgeable on how well OS/2 2.1 or Warp 3 Supported Win32 applications like my AutoCAD or some other applications which will at times heavily rely on the drivers for the IrisVision. I really wish I could find that driver....
On the other hand I can install something like PC-DOS 6.3 and run Windows 3.1 right on top of that. It's not the IBM experience but oh well....
Additionally, while I'm suspicious it would be to add another floppy drive. I have one of IBM's external 5.25" drives and while it does have an MCA adapter, I'm out of slots. I'm suspicious how hard it would be to snake a ribbon cable extension from the floppy harness to a loose hanging connector on the back. Would that even be detected and work??

Last edited:
Wow, nice machine... pulling up a chair to how this will go :)

As for the drive rails and bezel, I might have those... are they the same ones that are used for the Model 77? I would have to look in my spares drawer and I could post a pic up for you, but it would be soooo much nicer to have that caddy-loading CD-ROM drive internally fitted in the case (right?).

Dennis

Wow, nice machine... pulling up a chair to how this will go :)

As for the drive rails and bezel, I might have those... are they the same ones that are used for the Model 77?
Dennis

I think so. I'm comparing with a bezel on the VCGM and at least the positioning of the tabs and clips seem to be the same (though, it's got those tabs on the very bottom that I don't have).
Otherwise there seems to be two other styles of bezel. The top one in the pic below is the original faceplate that would of shipped with my caddy loading drive. Supposedly they're even rarer.
90bezels.jpg

The more simpler bottom one in that pic you could supposedly still buy from PS/Solutions for $7 each (you can also buy rails from them) however I sent them an email a month ago and they never got back. :(

What's the inside dimensions of that? 5 7/8" x 1 10/16"? It might actually be emulating the opening of a conventional 5.25" bay. I can't complain about that.

Last edited:
Completed cleaning and skeleton reassembly and powered up the planar, then the type 2 module, then the floppy and finally the SCSI disk.
I'll need to search for some parity ram (I know I got a stick someplace) to check and see if it at least POSTs successfully however the original IBM 066-467 400mb hard drive has rather badly crashed. It probably died in shipping.
Okay, I'll swap that out with a newer IBM 0663-H12 1gb hard drive which if I recall is the largest possible drive to support the IML partition.

Those are the correct bezels, wish I had one so I could mount a 5.25" IBM 1.3GB MO drive in my 95.

Do me a favor and try contacting PS/Solutions and see if you can have better luck getting in touch with them. Did they ever make bezels for full-height devices?

Continuing with good news I plugged in a stick of parity ram and got an otherwise uneventful POST up to an I999 IML error which is totally expected because I have not formatted and restored the partition yet. Now I'll take the Mitsubishi floppy drive and replace the two SMD caps on the back which should get it to read disks again.

Just because they have a website doesn't mean they are still in business, plus the holidays are bad for contacting small shops.

Repairing the panels is tedious. Some breaks need to be done in steps and clamped until the glue dries before you essentially pot the areas with epoxy. The back was the least damaged with a few plastic standoffs sheared off (and one vanished into the shag carpet...) but was completed this morning so I was able to screw it back on along with the power contacts for the fan and begin installing the cards.

CGS_0535.jpg

CGS_0536.jpg

CGS_0537.jpg

CGS_0538.jpg

One of the daughtercards on the Irisvision required me to shave off part of the plastic guides at the back of the card cage to it would seat properly. I need to dig up some HD15 connectors and make a teeny little 2" cable to link the XGA and IrisVision together. I do kind of wish could find the variant of my P201 monitor which had the classic PS/2 monitor enclosure. I don't remember is monitors like the 9517 supported SOG.

Can you please show us some pictures of the repaired [front] bezel once it's done?
This is going to be a crazy awesome project.

Here's those rails I told you about, these are the rails used to mount 5.25" drives in a Model 57/77 so maybe those are for Model 95 as well?

ibmrails.jpg

Front has been repaired. The tabs at the bottom don't flex as much anymore so I had to file them a little so I could snap the cover on and off without breaking the parts again.

CGS_0553.jpg

That's pretty darn good (your repair "harness" was pretty amusing-- with great background scenery objects such as the obligatory 70's couch, the crocs, and, what looks to be like a socket 7 heatsink clip on the table?). You could probably find some model paint that's the same beige to touch up the corner if you want to get OCD about the repair.

Any plans on getting a 5.25 panel for a nakamichi CD drive?

I'm still waiting for a response from Denniske regarding the bezel and you regarding if high density SIMMs work. I can work without the interposer for now but I can't make a switch from the type 2 to type 3 later because it involves replacing the IML partition which sounds messy.

Back