• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Floppy drive problem

Well, I count 26 conductors in the 3.5" drive cable, which is promising. Take a look at a Canon MD3671 drive--does it look the 3.5" unit on your drive?

I think most manufacturers did things the same way--bolt a 3.5" laptop drive onto a 1/3 height 5.25" floppy and cable them together with a special PCB on the 5.25" unit.

Well, I count 26 conductors in the 3.5" drive cable, which is promising. Take a look at a Canon MD3671 drive--does it look the 3.5" unit on your drive?

I think most manufacturers did things the same way--bolt a 3.5" laptop drive onto a 1/3 height 5.25" floppy and cable them together with a special PCB on the 5.25" unit.
I can confirm 26 contacts.
But I honestly cannot tell if that is the same - the picture is pretty terrible.

Added face pictures: 100_2321.jpg100_2320.jpg100_2322.jpg

Something weird is going on. I had the power on while I was moving the small drive around and suddenly it stopped the continuous running and seeked back to the beginning.
So I tried hooking it up to the computer and after many floppy read failures, I found just the right spot where it read the disk and booted all the way to DOS.
It appears to be some sort of connection problem or short causing the issue. I am just not sure where yet.

So it is either, contact at the ends, a bad 26 pin cable, a bad header or a solder joint problem.

Any idea where I can get a new ribbon cable?

I doubt that it's the cable (it's really called a "flex"cable--ribbon cables are a very different bird. You might want to first try slipping the cable end out of the 3.5" drive (note that the cable receptacle is in two parts, with one part being the latch. Push the latch up, clean the cable end with a bit of alcohol and re-insert it into the receptacle and push down on the latch to lock it.

At least that's the first thing that I'd try.

I cleaned it with alcohol. Its working with the drive out flopped over but when I put it back where it should be it grinds at the end again.

Those cables look just about perfect. I am not sure about of the solder joints but I may have to redo them if worst comes to worst.

The drive electronics are insulated by a thin piece of clear plastic. I don't how its integrity is though.

I cannot get it to work right now. I just bought a new flex because its cheap.
If it doesn't work I will have to try something else.

I just resoldered both headers with absolutely no change. It works if I hold it in just the right position but otherwise not.
I am really out of ideas. Any other suggestions please?

Looks like I will be digging for a new drive though.

A sharp eye and a little patience might yet reward you. I wonder if there's something flopping in the way of one of the sensors, or if a sensor itself is faulty.

Back