• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

For Sale: spotted on Craigslist (continuous sightings)

Something tickles my memory that the 800-3 is about an inch wider than the usual 800. Bitsavers might have something on that. In the photos, the body casting looks about right.

love it! However, I will never buy anything on craigslist. Been burned. The 2001 series is really cool. A blue faced one is very desireable, but definitely the nicest of the Pets. It always makes me laugh at the serious comprimise to the KB to fit an integrated cassette !

That's a dang nice unit.... makes me wish I had the cash for it, assuming that they'd ship! My own dumpster-dive Pet 2001 has a 3rd party keyboard on top of the chassis that sits in the holes where the chiclet kb and tape player used to be. It's a blue face, too... though not nearly so nice. And the keyboard is missing several keys and the wire needs replacement. Not to mention character rom problems. Sigh... never enough time... ;)

love it! However, I will never buy anything on craigslist. Been burned. The 2001 series is really cool. A blue faced one is very desireable, but definitely the nicest of the Pets. It always makes me laugh at the serious comprimise to the KB to fit an integrated cassette !

Just curious, how did you manage to get 'burned' on Craig's List? When I buy off of Craig's List I opt for a parking lot at a mall, or a similar location, and hand over cash for what ever it is that I buy. You know, "no tickee - no laundry".

Just curious, how did you manage to get 'burned' on Craig's List? When I buy off of Craig's List I opt for a parking lot at a mall, or a similar location, and hand over cash for what ever it is that I buy. You know, "no tickee - no laundry".
He might have been responding to barythrin regarding buying stuff out of state and having them ship it. I've done this several times and only once got burned. But karma has a way of working things out and I found the same item for free soon after. More recently I bought a cool Nixie tube display calculator from Texas for FREE + shipping last year with no issues. However, I would be very reluctant to pay hundreds of dollars for something without any guarantee of receiving the goods.

For the record, yeah it takes the old school trust method. In my few times we've generally spoken on the phone a few times and of course additional pictures, etc from the standard stock photo in the ad to confirm they have the item. It's not something I do that often either since yeah there's risk but I don't know how much riskier it is than any other auction. One of you gets to pay first and the other has to hope things work out and noone is a scammer or pull the payment afterwards, etc. I've had pretty good luck here and there though and have been pleasantly surprised with folks being ok with the shipping offers (although I suppose I get the majority of no replies also but that's even for local CL ads).

You somewhat have some protection though if you're going through paypal, etc. Ironically the Pet I bought was completely old school lol and was both of us talking, a few nice pictures by request, then a money order and tracking shipment and hoping it isn't just selection of their finest area bricks.

For the record, yeah it takes the old school trust method. In my few times we've generally spoken on the phone a few times and of course additional pictures, etc from the standard stock photo in the ad to confirm they have the item. It's not something I do that often either since yeah there's risk but I don't know how much riskier it is than any other auction. One of you gets to pay first and the other has to hope things work out and noone is a scammer or pull the payment afterwards, etc. I've had pretty good luck here and there though and have been pleasantly surprised with folks being ok with the shipping offers (although I suppose I get the majority of no replies also but that's even for local CL ads).

You somewhat have some protection though if you're going through paypal, etc. Ironically the Pet I bought was completely old school lol and was both of us talking, a few nice pictures by request, then a money order and tracking shipment and hoping it isn't just selection of their finest area bricks.

Just to qualify what I stated eariler, I think Craig's List is okay locally, but I wouldn't send money to anyone. I would have to consumate the deal face-to-face. At least with ebay you're going to get some backing.

Yup. That's of course the popularity behind craigslist. You're not supposed to have to worry as much about the hassle of shipping or payments unless you agree on a nice public place to meet and hope it works as advertised.

Back