• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

FTP filenames and spaces

This thread was a design/programming question for an ftp client. It's not clear what problem you are trying to solve but it's probably not related to this. Please open a new thread with a clear description of your particular problem.

Actually this is related to an FTP Client. I am logged into another FTP and it takes me to the root Directory of the HDD. At which point I key a "LS" command to list contents, then "CD" to change directory. I "drill" down to a directory that has a few other Directories, the one that has the file I am looking to download is in a Directory that was created on a newer version of Windows that allows for more than 8 characters and it contains a space in it's name. I am unable to "CD" into the directory that I need to access, I can't even "GET" the entire directory because of the space in the name. Same issue, it follows the thread. I have looked all over the web, and found that this thread and the people on this site seem to be the most knowledgeable than any of the other I found on the web. I was impressed enough to try all of the suggestions and then register to post my findings. I do not normally take the time, because I have been in the industry for almost 30 years and most sites/forums are a waste of my time, and I spend more time answering questions for others than I get intelligent answers. From what I saw, I believed the people on here had a level of skills that were closer to an equal, and I don't mind making myself available to them and had hoped one could help with my current problem. I know there is a way to "CD" and even "PUT" and "GET" files and directories that contain spaces, it has been too many years and I have just forgotten how to get around the space issue.

Last edited:
believe it or not I tried several variations of quotes (i.e. "new"folder", "new""folder", etc...) even tried it with "\" and "\\" even tried using ~ instead of the last letter then last two letters with quotes and without, but not the simple "new folder"! That worked. Pardon the expression but as my grand father use to say " there is no point in being dumb unless you can show it!" That worked! Thank you, I can't believe I didn't remember that. I have for years avoided long file/directory names and never used spaces for everyone who used my FTPs, instead of simply giving the instructions! Thank you again.

Back