• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalize

Experienced Member
I've never been to this place, but TX Dj posted a 30 minute walkthrough of the location. It's about what you'd expect: overfull to the top with boxes and equipment piled everywhere. It's mostly PC stuff, but TX Dj did note a few things in passing that might be of interest to other sorts of collectors: terminals, some IBM mainframe gear. There's lots of Apple ][ stuff visible in the video.

In the video I didn't spot any telltale signs of DEC minis, although TX Dj did note in passing various DEC terminals.

If you're into IBM PC Jr., this place is loaded with new old stock PC Jr. stuff. Also lots of original IBM PC (5150, 5160, 5170) stuff in there.

There wasn't enough in the video to get me interested in taking a trip because it's virtually all PC stuff.

Anything that isn't sold off is going to be recycled/scrapped/hauled to the landfill. The building is going to be sold and the building will be emptied out before sale.

Anyone nearby is encouraged to take a trip down there. Wear old clothes that you don't mind getting covered in dirt. Stuff is piled high to the ceiling and everything is dusty/dirty, but many things are in original boxes from what I could tell in the video. Bring a headlamp as overhead lighting is spotty.

Happy hunting!

I saw that video. I could go there, even though it's a bit of a drive. I'm willing to if noone buys the stuff, but so far I still believe someone will. Dallas is a big place.

It's one of those things where you really need to dig through the place to know what's really in there.

When The Black Hole was liquidating its inventory, I made 4 trips down there with a trailer on my car and each time I thought I had scoured the whole place and on each subsequent visit, I found new things that were unearthed in the newly exposed layers.

What are prices like? I would hate to see somebody go down there for lets say an IBM 5150 that might not even work and spend 30 minutes digging it out of a pile only to get pricing higher then ebay.

The recycler I used to go to had things on skids that came and went pretty fast so there wasn't a mess, you could get to most things fairly easy (lighting did suck a bit) and prices were only a few times more then scrap.

The only example I've heard from this place was $10/CRT. There's a chance that they value the desktops at a higher price though, so I also want to know this. I would hate to drive 700 miles and find someone wanted $80 a desktop or something. I mean, there were dozens and dozens of them.

What are prices like? I would hate to see somebody go down there for lets say an IBM 5150 that might not even work and spend 30 minutes digging it out of a pile only to get pricing higher then ebay.

The recycler I used to go to had things on skids that came and went pretty fast so there wasn't a mess, you could get to most things fairly easy (lighting did suck a bit) and prices were only a few times more then scrap.

From an acquaintance on Discord: "Today's haul: - 386 motherboard with battery damage for scavenging - Asante NuBus Ethernet card - VTech 8-bit ISA MDA/VGA video card - 2x IBM CGA cards - Cabletron NuBus Ethernet card - Apple Macintosh Display Card 1989/90 - Apple Macintosh Display Card 1990/91 - a couple Apple-branded Ethernet transceivers - unbranded SCSI CDROM & cable - SCSI cable - Mac 8-pin serial to DB25 cable - Sun 13W3 cable that I hope will work for my old Mac portrait display - a bunch of 30 pin SIMM connectors $10"

I'm not sure about other prices, I'll see if he knows.

from a reddit post a friend sent me:

"To get an idea of the prices, I picked up an SGI Indigo, a blueberry iMac, a big-ass Sun monitor, a Commodore 64, 1541 and 1802, two Compaq luggables, a third no-name luggable, a Toshiba T3100e laptop, a Pentium-era laptop, an Imagewriter II, a Mac SE FDHD, and two boxes full of ISA cards, hard drives, RAM and cables for $120. There are dozens of genuine IBM PCs and ATs, as well as Desqpros and generics from 8088 through 486 and low-end Pentium."

Why on Earth he picked up an imagewriter, who knows.. :)

Wow. I had to keep pausing the video to try to identify things. Very hard to make out the details, and lots of stuff in boxes.

Lots of IBM, IBM PC Jr, and PS/2 stuff. Any collector of just these could easily fill up their car with just a fraction of the stuff. Some big boxes of IBM Software too. Various Compaq Portables, Compaq deskpros, I thought I saw what looked like a Zenith Z-150, and a box for a TI Professional Computer.

Unfortunately, from a distance, many IBM PC clones look just like IBM PCs. And who knows what is installed inside any of these. I'd be tempted to grab anything with an MFM/RLL hard drive.

It looks like most of these systems would need some serious love. Having spent all weekend and then some just fixing up ONE computer... imagine multiplying that by 100,000 and that would be this warehouse!

I expected this day would come. I have shopped there for parts for many years, very sad to hear of Richard's illness. Richard also ran a U-HAUL business inside the warehouse and drove a wood-paneled station wagon. I remember the first time sifting through the "drive" room getting numerous bug bites, so I had to apply repellent for future visits. Also hand wipes were a good thing to have after a visit as well. I hope this gear finds a good home, I will be making a few visits in the coming days to see what is left.

IMG_1658.jpg

Yeah, I have bought from him off of eBay and then directly. Good guy sorry to hear he is sick. That explains why he has not relisted on eBay for the past few months. Too bad its in texas or I would love to stop by. I always thought his "catalog" was only the tip of the iceberg.

The video link appears to be not working now?

What eBay user was that? What did they have listed? To often I drool over some item just to see it disappear unsold. (But it's either that or my wallet disappearing :p )

So that stuff that is left over (most of it) will be recycled then? Some scrapper(s) is(are) going to make out well on that even if they only resell a small percentage of the items there.

So that stuff that is left over (most of it) will be recycled then? Some scrapper(s) is(are) going to make out well on that even if they only resell a small percentage of the items there.

My understanding is that most scrappers won't be bothered with attempting to resell the collectible stuff. They'll just grind it up for precious metals recovery.

Man, I feel so impotent that I don't have any viable way to help out.

I understand the situation, but god damn, it still fills me with rage when I hear things are going to the scrapper.

My understanding is that most scrappers won't be bothered with attempting to resell the collectible stuff. They'll just grind it up for precious metals recovery.

I think that all depends on how large the outfit is. Quite a few of the larger ebay sellers are recyclers.

So what happened to the stuff? We haven't even reached the weekend yet, seems kind of early to be cutting off interested parties to me. I was told some people were trying to buy the whole lot, I hope we can find out, if someone succeeds in doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back