• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would not be having this conversation if the complete keyboard was easily sold for more then the sum of it parts minus time and labor. Kind of reminds me when companies are worth more parted out and closed down then they are running with people working there. Same people destroy companies that destroy keyboards, its just the corporate raiders have more cash.

Oh wow.. I hadn't seen those pictures. Redmaus - you are a cad, sir.

I really wish there was a way for us computer collectors to cut off deskthority's supply of this stuff. Personally any time I've seen a keyboard I know would appeal to them come up for a reasonable price on ebay, I grab it. Or sometimes I'm a jerk in auctions and bid stuff up as high as I know the market will bear just to make em pay. Anything to annoy/deny them.

I really wish there was a way for us computer collectors to cut off deskthority's supply of this stuff.

I can think of quite a few things you could do to at the very least move their work back underground but none of it is within the rules on this forum. ;)

Other than that, you could work on compiling lists of usernames and handles for the purpose of making a blacklist.

Last edited:
In Redmaus's defense, he was very generous when I contacted him to let him know he had a couple of proprietary keyboards for a system of mine. I picked up two TI Professional Computers, and handed one off to someone else from CR who had been looking for one. However, the keyboards were nowhere to be found. I later found out that redmaus had picked them up. He mentioned he was planning to remove the switches, as they were a rare type and the keyboard basically looks like a generic 80's PC keyboard. However, when I contacted him and asked him to spare the keyboards if I offered to buy them for a decent price he held off scrapping them. Once I explained they were proprietary and the computer was useless without them, he ended up just giving them to me even though I offered to pay for them.
He's not a bad guy, he just got carried away at CR. When you see literal piles of the very thing you collect for dirt cheap, you tend to grab a bunch of them. I'm not saying I agree with everything he did, but he did at least apologize and actively attempted to rehome the proprietary boards he picked up to people with those systems once he realized they could not be replaced.
I can't speak for all the deskthority people, but I would bet most of them just don't realize that a bunch of those keyboards are special, and the machines they go with are bricked when they are separated.

I would bet most of them just don't realize that a bunch of those keyboards are special, and the machines they go with are bricked when they are separated.

I have an IBM Displaywriter that I had been putting together to finish documenting the hardware so it can be properly emulated in MAME
They know damn well it is 'collectable', and butcher them with USB adapters.
I am going to put the system back in storage since I've spent a year trying to find one.

My other big annoyance with them is they'll draw keymaps, but they don't dump the original firmware so you can't clone it.
This is especially annoying with terminal keyboard hoarders.

Last edited:
He's not a bad guy, he just got carried away at CR. When you see literal piles of the very thing you collect for dirt cheap, you tend to grab a bunch of them.

While I agree with this, that is not what he did. Having been in a similar situation I have grabbed a ton of things (4 pallets worth to be exact) but no more then I had need for (e.g. I only need one old LJ printer not all of them) and not at the detriment of customers coming after me... The difference is he is not grabbing one kb that was lying by its own lonesome. He was actively separating the kb from a complete system. I understand his motivation (money) and the reward (status with KB geeks and money). I just don't agree with him. I also understand people like this exist for ever hobby and industry.

I am also going to say something which may be very unpopular: The organizers also bear some of the responsibility. Yes I understand they are overwhelmed, under powered, volunteers, blah blah. However, if you are taking on the responsibility you should make the effort to put in some safeguards in place. I mean a KB limit (hell many limits) seems like a no brainer for anyone opening up a warehouse to the public. If you see someone trying to buy 50 keyboards (or 50 of anything) as a non-scrapper you got to think to yourself "what am I missing?" Why are they interested in buying crappy dirty keyboards for $5 when brand new ones are available for $5.99 shipped.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Exceter

It was the stated intent of the CR owner(s) and volunteers to save as many of these vintage systems from the scrappers as possible.

Ya', but you can't say for sure just how savvy (or diligent, for that matter) these people are or how they determine just who is and who isn't a scrapper. It took them a little while to figure out what this guy was all about, didn't it?

Honestly, this thread just needs to be closed unless there is something new actually related to this sale, and not just back and forth about a guy who bought a bunch of keyboards who's since been banned from the (closing) store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back