• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gamasutra's "A History of Gaming Platforms" - The Commodore 64 (Loguidice and Barton)

Great article, I enjoy reading this sort of thing for nostalgia reasons more so than for picking out technical inaccuracies. :) . I actually won a C64 in a contest in 1985! Being the ingrate I was, I remember thinking, damn, I wish I won the camera instead, since I had JUST bought an Apple MacIntosh a year earlier ($2,500 for half a MB of memory). LOL!

But the C64 turned out to be a great prize because it came with a Q-link disk, which got me started on the Internet at a relatively early stage (most people hadn't even heard of the Internet until the early 90's). It sure was expensive, too, I recall bills of hundreds of dollars each month, as you were charged for hourly usage.

Showing my age, I am!

I just had a friend at the local university cobble me an account through their modem pool and that worked quite nicely. :)

Thing I liked about the 'net back then was that you had to know the quad to get anywhere and, even then, most people didn't know what the hell a quad was.

Certainly kept the riff-raff off LOL

What the hell is a quad? (I'll admit, I'm a relative n00b, coming onto the net in 1991). OTOH, it was not until after Y2K took down my last free account(s) that I ever had to begin paying for access.

--T

Back