• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gaming machine

squirrel-steam

Experienced Member
Anyone else here built their own gaming computer? I was into it for a while, now its second fiddle to old computers. Heres what I got, I still take it to Lan parties, and game it up on Call of Duty 4.

AMD athlon 64 3200+ 2.2 oc'd to 2.4ghz socket 754
ECS Elitegroup RS482-M754
2GB Gskill DDR-400
XFX Nvidia 8600GT 512mb GPU 540mhz oc'd 600mhz, MEM 400mhz oc'd to 470mhz PCI-E 16x
WDC 80gb 8mb cache IDE (XP, music, programs), Samsung 80GB 2mb cache IDE (DVD drive), WDC 320gb 16mb cache SATA (Games, Page file)
Lite-on 52x cd/32x cd-rw/16x dvd-rom
2 Masscool 42 cfm 80mm fans, 1 120mm Thermaltake 78cfm fan, 500W Rosewill psu, Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL cpu cooler, Zalman VF1000 LED VGA cooler

Lately I haven't had much time for gaming. It's an increasing problem for me as I'm getting more and more involved with rock climbing and my girlfriend also demands that I spend time with her :) So instead of spending a whole day infront of a computer, I rather go out to climb. Anyway, I've been building my own computers ever since I got my first 486 about 14 years ago. Since then, I've built about 6 or 7 systems with occasional upgrades. My current system is about 4 years old and as much as I'd like to build a new one, there's no real need for me to do so. I hardly ever play games nowadays and my PC is more than enough for Windows XP and most of the stuff I do. Now I understand how some people were still using a 286 when I was happily running a Pentium 200 MMX.

Just in case you were wondering, my current rig is:
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
Athlon XP2400+ Barton Mobile
TwinMOS Twister Pro 2x512MB PC3200 CL2
120GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
ATI All-in-wonder 9800Pro

Cheers!
SainT

Not me personally, I recently built an extremely low budget PC for a friend and got their old gaming machine as payment, which suited me because my machine was stolen on christmas day last year. Keep in mind that the new one had to be done as cheap as possible, hence some of the choices made, it cam in at just over $600 Australian.

New machine:
AMD Athlon64 x2 5600+
2Gb Kingston DDR2 800MHz (2x 1Gb)
Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H mobo
384Mb ASUS 8800GS TOP
320Gb Western Digital sata2
Pioneer DVR-115D DVD-R/W
All stuffed into a Coolermaster Elite 331 case.

Old machine (mine now):
AMD Athlon64 3500
1Gb DDR400 (1x 1Gb)
Gigabyte K8N-SLI mobo
256Mb 7600GS
200Gb Seagate ATA100
LG DVD-R/W
All in a generic case.

Anyone else here built their own gaming computer? I was into it for a while, now its second fiddle to old computers.
heh. my gaming machines ARE my old computers! I've got the gambit of 8088->286,386,486 just so I could play my games on their native boxes.

I told myself (and my g/f) that I had these machines so that I could assist in emulation development so I could get rid of them one day, but I don't see that day coming, and it's not because emulation isn't close enough. ;)

I just built my new rig a few months ago..it replaced a p4 2.4C with a 6800 I was running. The new rig is:

Q6600 G0 stepping 2.4GHz oc'd to 3.4GHz
Nvidia 8800GT 512MB superclocked
2GB DDR2 800@DDR2 925(
500GB HD
DFI Lanparty X38 LP LT mmobo
650W PSU
Thermaltake armor case

The cpu cooling is a custom watercooling setup...
MCP 355 pump
D-tek fuzion cpu block
Thermochill 120.2 radiator

Of course, my c64 and IBM 5150 are right across from it :) Those also get some gaming use

Last edited:
heh. my gaming machines ARE my old computers! I've got the gambit of 8088->286,386,486 just so I could play my games on their native boxes.

Yeah, I play rogue on my XT. There's just something about playing games on a real monochrome screen that makes them more fun. I also had Wolfenstein 3D on my PS/1. Probably would have put a lot of side scrollers on it if it hadn't broken (probably still will if I fix it).

Mainly though I play games on my (not really) new computer. Specs:

1GHz PIII
512MB SDRAM, I dunno about speed. (upgraded from 384 when I got it, which was probably upgraded from 256 by the person that donated it to goodwill)
Some random CD burner I took out of another computer.
40GB HDD
GeForce 2 MX400. 32MB IIRC.

A 1337 gaming computer would be pretty awesome, but if I had the money I'd probably end up spending it on a 360, vintage computers, and/or a real server (I currently have my main computer running a web server, but it would be _awesome_ to have a SPARC, even if it is a few years old).

Here's the specs to The Cube I sometimes refer to.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GByte DDR
Asus something (skt 939)
ATI Radeon X300 256MByte
200Gbyte Seagate Barracuda with a smaller Samsung for playing with other OS's
Lite On DL DVD-RW
Inside a Ultra MicroFly Cube case.
Currently running openSuSE 10.3 soon to be upgraded to Fedora 9

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1800610&Sku=ULT33114

Basically the same case I have except the one I have has windows on the sides and top and didn't come with a PSU.

I've been in a HUGE controversy with newer computers. I have been fiddling around at making a gaming computer, but that would not only cost alot of money to build, but plenty for the games and upgrades, too. Really though, if it weren't for eBay and the forums, I'd be dandy using my AT&T PC 6300 (8086, 8MHz) as a main PC. Hell, if eBay hits the bucket, a high end 486 should be able to surf the forums well, seems my low end Pentium 1(75MHz) does it well with 16MB RAM, running MSN messenger in the background. You know what they say, use what suits your needs.

Maybe when I (or a family member) wins the lottery, I will build a new PC...Or maybe I will when I get a job.

--Jack

I was able to build my gaming computer at 14 because i have a summer job, as a corn detassler, may get paid under minimum wage, but i made about 480 dollars last summer, and our wages have increased dramatically (because of the new minimum wage laws in michigan,) so i am projecting to make over 700 dollars.

I really wanted to get a job this summer and buy a new computer, but I don't exactly have time, what with going on vacation for a week, someone visiting for a week from New York, and going to band camp after that. It only leaves me about a month of total free time.

Detassling lasts for 4 weeks, working every day, from about 6 to anywhere from 12 to 5, 1st years get 5.25/h, second year (me,) get 6.75+up to 1.20/h (if you do good,) 3rd years get 7.25+1.20/h.

Very repedative work, stand in a bucket on a tractor, and pull tassels out from the top of corn.

Back