• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting an old DOS machine connected

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
I have an MS-DOS 486SX laptop, and I'd like to use it on my home network via either ethernet or wifi for filesharing and web browsing. What would be the easiest way to do this, and what steps would I have to take (I cannot install WFW3.11)?

Has two PCMCIA slots.

First you need dos drivers for your PCMCIA-slots.
Second you need a pcmcia-ethernet-card with odi dos drivers.
And third you need the MS-DOS LAN client software from Microsoft. It supports NetBEUI or TCP/IP or IPX. You can download it at ms ftp server.

If you want WiFi (it is do-able, I've done it) hunt down a Cisco Aironet 350 card, they have DOS/Win3x drivers. There's an IBM PCMCIA controller driver intended for Thinkpads that I find works on any machine I try it on, so if you can't locate any specific PCMCIA drivers give those a shot. Cisco's locked down their site a bit, so if you find an Aironet and need drivers PM me 'cuz I have the disk.

Personally I'd use a packet driver + Arachne (and other packet driver apps) for networking, and stay away from the LAN Client stuff, because I find it difficult to get working.

If you want WiFi (it is do-able, I've done it) hunt down a Cisco Aironet 350 card, they have DOS/Win3x drivers. There's an IBM PCMCIA controller driver intended for Thinkpads that I find works on any machine I try it on, so if you can't locate any specific PCMCIA drivers give those a shot. Cisco's locked down their site a bit, so if you find an Aironet and need drivers PM me 'cuz I have the disk.

Personally I'd use a packet driver + Arachne (and other packet driver apps) for networking, and stay away from the LAN Client stuff, because I find it difficult to get working.

So if I got this I would be able to plop down my 486 at a my motel, fire up Arachne under DOS or Opera under Windows, MIRC, etc. and be able to use them all? How does it manage multiple networks? What about password protection?

Is it time for a wiki article on this? (and I'm sorry, but 'm not putting myself forward, I'm no expert!) it's just that questions of a basic HOWTO nature seem to happen every week. I know I'll be doing the same when I get stuck in a few weeks too.

The good old Lucent Wavelan Silver cards, they work in DOS, Win 3.1, 9x/nt/xp, and also work in classic Mac OS. I have 6 or 7 of those cards for my laptop collection (PC and Mac).

They work, but only with WEP. For security reasons, I would not use that.

They work, but only with WEP. For security reasons, I would not use that.

I guess it depends on what you are doing over wireless to begin with, and how many teenagers live in the area with nothing to do but hack you.

99% of the time my router has wireless turned off since everything I use for anything remotely important is done on a wired network. I do use wireless on a nice day when I want to use a laptop outside under the shade or move some files around on my Amiga 1200 (also works with Amiga Explorer and those wavelans). Basically there is nothing important to hack into on the machines using wireless so no big deal. I definatly would not use it at a work environment or where money and bank information is sent around. Thing is you are more then likely to get hacked using vintage equipment and an web old browser then using a WEP enabled card.

Okay, so this is all pretty convincing right now, but what about the multiple networks, and stuff I mentioned earlier?

I have a specific network I want to get on, but it isn't always the strongest (my neighbors have a HUGE password-protected wireless network).

The good old Lucent Wavelan Silver cards, they work in DOS, Win 3.1, 9x/nt/xp, and also work in classic Mac OS. I have 6 or 7 of those cards for my laptop collection (PC and Mac).

I thought they never made MS-DOS drivers for that card; I've searched everywhere and never found them.

Thing is you are more then likely to get hacked using vintage equipment and an web old browser then using a WEP enabled card.

Using DOS with arachne will get you hacked more than a modern setup? I have trouble believing this. I heard windows 98 is benefiting from security through obscurity just because people arn't using it anymore. DOS is even older than that... are hackers really looking for DOS system files to infect?

Using DOS with arachne will get you hacked more than a modern setup? I have trouble believing this. I heard windows 98 is benefiting from security through obscurity just because people arn't using it anymore. DOS is even older than that... are hackers really looking for DOS system files to infect?

I was thinking more of older unpatched versions of IE on Win9x/NT4/Win2k. Hackers would be more interested in looking at your files, loading backdoors and keyloggers, and waiting for you to do some ebaying or paypal to make some money. If they wanted to wipe the HD to get back at you would it matter if you ran DOS or something newer?

===========================================================
Lucent Technologies May, 1998
WaveLAN/PCMCIA, Version: 4.00
===========================================================

1.2 Software Components
The software for WaveLAN/PCMCIA comprises three
diskettes.
Two diskettes contain the software that you can
use to install the WaveLAN/PCMCIA card on a
computer system that runs one of the following
Operating Systems:

* Microsoft Windows 95, and Windows NT
(version 3.51 & 4.0)
* MS-DOS

The third disk contains software to install
WaveLAN/PCMCIA on Apple/Macintosh Powerbook Computers.
* Apple Open Transport Drivers
* Apple Classic Driver

DISK 2 SOFTWARE FOR MS-DOS OPERATING SYSTEMS

DOS ODI Driver:
\WVLAN05.COM version 3.06
\NET.CFG
\WVLAN05.INS
\DRIVER.LST

DOS NDIS 2 driver:
\MSLANMAN.DOS\DRIVERS\WAVELAN\WVLAN09.DOS v.4.10
\MSLANMAN.DOS\DRIVERS\WAVELAN\PROTOCOL.INI
\MSLANMAN.DOS\DRIVERS\NIF\WVLAN09.NIF
\OEMSETUP.INF
\OEMSETUP.WFW
\OEMSETUP.IBM

CS&SS Client Driver:
\WAVECLI.EXE version 1.05

Enabler:
\ENABLER\ENABLER.SYS version 2.7

Installation Utilities:
* Card Services & Socket Services based Systems
\INSTALL.EXE version 1.06
\INSTALL.DAT
\INSTALL.INF
\CIS.OUT
\CSTABLE.TXT

* Other Systems:
\UTIL\INSTCONF.EXE version 2.02
\UTIL\SETCONF.EXE version 1.03
\CPY2HDSK.BAT
\UTL2BOOT.BAT
\UTIL\CONFIG.SYS
\UTIL\AUTOEXEC.BAT

Point to Point Diagnostic Utility:
\UTIL\PTPDIAG.EXE version 4.20

Frequency Select Utility:
\UTIL\WFREQSEL.EXE version 1.18

WaveMONITOR Diagnostic Utility:
\UTIL\WMONITOR.EXE version 2.12

WavePOINT Access Control Program:
\UTIL\WPACCESS.EXE version 2.35
\UTIL\ACC_HLP.HLP
\UTIL\SYS$ERR.DTA
\UTIL\SYS$HELP.DTA
\UTIL\SYS$MSG.DTA

WaveLAN Card Update Utility
\UTIL\WCARDUP.EXE version 1.02
\CIS.OUT

Netware VLM protocol stack:
\VLM\VLMUP4.EXE
\VLM\VLMUP.BAT

General Information:
\README.TXT This file
\WVLANPRF.TXT Problem Report Form
\LICENSE.TXT End-User License Agreement

I thought they never made MS-DOS drivers for that card; I've searched everywhere and never found them.
If you google the specs you'll find something like this where it lists operating systems. :) I don't have a card to test it but I've got a driver if you want.

Edit: I just noticed that Unknown_K posted the same info. (blush) However, I'll post the driver for you if you ask.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of older unpatched versions of IE on Win9x/NT4/Win2k. Hackers would be more interested in looking at your files, loading backdoors and keyloggers, and waiting for you to do some ebaying or paypal to make some money. If they wanted to wipe the HD to get back at you would it matter if you ran DOS or something newer?
With all due respect, aren't you mixing up Windows and DOS here? :) I can't imagine running both, certainly not if you're interested in DOS.

That said; my main DOS box is on the net 24/7. Tell me how you're going to hack it. The address is 192.168.1.109. :) Yes, you could theoretically entice me to download a utility containing a virus, but how else could you do it? Oh, you want my outside facing IP too? It's 66.244.241.250

``
With all due respect, aren't you mixing up Windows and DOS here? :) I can't imagine running both, certainly not if you're interested in DOS.

That said; my main DOS box is on the net 24/7. Tell me how you're going to hack it. The address is 192.168.1.109. :) Yes, you could theoretically entice me to download a utility containing a virus, but how else could you do it? Oh, you want my outside facing IP too? It's 66.244.241.250
Just curious: what does that DOS box actually do, i.e. what internet apps are you using on it and why?

``Just curious: what does that DOS box actually do, i.e. what internet apps are you using on it and why?
It's pretty plain really. First, regarding hacking, there are no servers running. Although there are crude http and ftp servers available, I see no reason for doing it on that machine since Linux or BSD does it really well almost out of the box. Also, it's the machine I write on so it makes a good "client terminal" for everything else.

Also, like you, I find that a bigger OS (in my case Kubuntu) is better for browsing, audio, and video. Lynx however, works well in DOS and is sometimes the best choice, such as for the local remote weather station.

The internet apps that I get a lot of use out of are FTP, WGET, PING, TRACEROUTE, TELNET, SSH, LYNX, and DNS LOOKUP. There are others set up like HTGET, IRC, and DHCP, but I don't normally use them. I should also say that POP3 is available from a small mail transport agent. I have fallen into the bad habit of doing e-mail on-line and I'm not currently doing it on this machine but have done so much in past. I'm saying that just so someone else will know that it is very practical on DOS. :)

As to why, I find that DOS offers the kind of text editing that I prefer. I have a nice spell checker and lots of utilities, from the likes of WC, and GREP to TIDY, and lexical or other lookups. I also have a nice single keystroke way of saving and showing the last 8 pages regardless of what screen I'm on. There is a nice TSR pupup text screen which is handy for notes on the fly and with my cut and paste TSR. I have a lot of trouble using a mouse (partly because the concept irritates me) and I have a different visual relationship with the physical world than most normal people. Therefore DOS is good for me. There is also the thing about writing little batch files to do what I normally do. An example is the BBSs that I normally call are invoked by short names. Another example is that an automatic FTP connection to some specific directories on my main Linux box and several "paid for" servers, is a single short word. The same goes for many other things on this machine. Yes all that can be done in Linux, and BSD, but those OSs are a challenge for me to learn and everything I want to do is so simple in DOS. In short I use mostly FTP and Telnet on DOS because it connects my OS of choice with the rest of the world, including my other computers.

I noticed you had a Telnet server running on that IP you listed.
That's the IP that the outside world always reports for me. That'll be my providers server. I could be wrong but that number looks like about 5 hops from here and it's definitely two routers away. Being rural wireless, they do a lot of their administration remotely. I'm actually surprised it's telnet.

Edit: I have not been able to find a telnet server for DOS, I don't think there is one. :(

Last edited:
Back