• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting an old DOS machine connected

i think eznos can be used as a telnet server. i have it on my 286. the only problem is i don't know telnet so i don't know if it would work for you or not.
here it is. i hope the link works. telnet://486.ath.cx
Interesting. Thanks! I can log in with telnet and as guest, but what is it? :) It doesn't seem to work properly with telnet but since I can log in it must be a telnet server of some kind. I'll check it out on the net.

I am interested in all internet functionality in DOS. However, I've decided that servers in general are not such a good idea. DOS isn't ideal for it and other (even minimal) operating systems are. Basically, I think that DOS is best as a single user client - which is where it even excels.

Edit: I just found EZNOS in my archives. I remember now. After unzipping it and having a look I see what the problem was. It wants to install to my C drive, and I don't allow that. Also, it does not appear to be a telnet server, at least not this one:
Code:
        EZNOS, was compilied from JNOS111f for a 386 or better computer.
        Servers: FTP HTTP SMTP
        Clients: FTP SMTP TIME(rdate)
I just tried you server again with http and that works like a charm. :)

Last edited:
Okay, so this is all pretty convincing right now, but what about the multiple networks, and stuff I mentioned earlier?

I have a specific network I want to get on, but it isn't always the strongest (my neighbors have a HUGE password-protected wireless network).
From the Wikipedia article:
The ORiNOCO (and their derivatives) is preferred by wardrivers, due to their high sensitivity and the ability to report the level of noise (something that other chips won't report).
As for getting hacked, it seems to me one of your worst worries would be someone sneaking up from behind and whacking your lappy with a sledge hammer when you're not watching. :p Seriously, I'd like to know the attack vector that people are expecting with DOS.

Interesting. Thanks! I can log in with telnet and as guest, but what is it? :) It doesn't seem to work properly with telnet but since I can log in it must be a telnet server of some kind. I'll check it out on the net.
i know that something about it does not seem right. like i said, i don't know that much about telnet.
I just tried you server again with http and that works like a charm. :)
of course it does. my main server that is on port 80 is a AMD 3800+ with 1.5gb ram. the http on my 286 is on port 82. :p it works pretty good as long as there is no pictures. right now it is running off the floppy drive.

Okay! I got a Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA WLAN adaptor off of Ebay for $10, and upgraded my 486SX to Windows 95 (pretty fast on 8MB of RAM). I got the drivers for the WLAN adaptor installed, but I can't get the !@#$% PCMCIA slot drivers to work! I'm using the Generic PCMCIA drivers, and I've tried the Intel PCMCIA drivers, both on 'autmatic config' mode. Both report the device (PCMCIA slots) to not exist. Wonderful.

How can I find out what PCMCIA controller I have in my system? The documentation for it (notejet 486) doesn't seem to be helping.

Winver just reports Windows 95. This is the 14-floppy "no IE" version, so not OSR2 or anything.

How can I find out what PCMCIA controller I have in my system? The documentation for it (notejet 486) doesn't seem to be helping.
I guess you can run a DOS program on it so I'll put up PCISNIF.EXE and NICSCAN.EXE, both of which I find very useful in getting the information you're looking for. I zipped them as PCI.ZIP which you can get here.

Edit: While you're there, get diag.zip if you like good diagnostics software. :)

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks! I'll edit this post with my findings on using this software!

EDIT: nope, nothing. One was for desktops with a PCI bus (I'll have to keep that around, though ;) ) and the other was just for finding the NIC, when it's the PCMCIA drivers that I need, and I have no idea what controller I have.

EDIT2: looks like I need 'Cardwizard' or 'Cardsoft' for windows 95.

Last edited:
. . . nope, nothing. One was for desktops with a PCI bus (I'll have to keep that around, though ;) ) and the other was just for finding the NIC, when it's the PCMCIA drivers that I need, and I have no idea what controller I have. . .
Sorry, I thought that PCMCIA was actually a 33 MHz PCI bus device in a different form factor. I just tried PCISNIF on a 486 laptop and, yep, it doesn't work. Too bad.

Back