• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gmt plant final cleanout commadore stuff help!

If you threw out something worth $100,000 you would qualify as a gummint employee. Trash all you want; the taxpayers are footing the bill.

A former employer of mine, who were in the government business, had an AS400 system they had supplanted with HP/Microsoft servers. I inquired if I could purchase it and was told that they had no mechanism for de-acquisition; the AS400 would sit in storage until the space was needed for something else.

-CH-

If you threw out something worth $100,000 you would qualify as a gummint employee. Trash all you want; the taxpayers are footing the bill.

A former employer of mine, who were in the government business, had an AS400 system they had supplanted with HP/Microsoft servers. I inquired if I could purchase it and was told that they had no mechanism for de-acquisition; the AS400 would sit in storage until the space was needed for something else.

-CH-

The vast majority of government employees I have ever known or interacted with are very fine, hard-working people undeserving of the cheap shot in this post. Sometimes big, bureaucratic systems have rules that can be frustrating and force counter-intuitive behaviors - a phenomenon that I have witnessed equally in the private sector, as well as the public one - but it doesn't mean "gummint emplioyees" are mindless automatons burning taxpayer money through incompetence, malice, or both.

The vast majority of government employees I have ever known or interacted with are very fine, hard-working people

I apologize if I gave offense with my remark, which was offered in light spirit as a response to the previous poster and not intended as a cheap shot. Apparently we travel in different circles, however: Last Wednesday evening my former employers were raided by the FBI, IRS and HUD, jointly. Word is there has been misappropriation of Federal funds.

In my time there I oversaw a $100,000,000 project, funded entirely through public money, and witnessed both waste and misallocation of those funds. I am no longer associated with the organization; I left of my own volition.

I have worked for start-ups and 100,000-employee organizations, in the private and public sectors. Many of these people were smart, dedicated and hard-working, but laziness, stupidity and greed are always with us, too.

-CH-

Did any of the financial documents get saved? While less interesting from a technical standpoint, the financials certainly accelerated the company's demise.

Did this stuff actually get salvaged? I.e. the tapes, documents and other historical stuff?

From this link it looks more like they collected alot of thrashed PETs, but nothing of the "valuable" stuff (historically speaking): https://imgur.com/a/KhlIr

Yeah, I'd like to know what happened with this stuff. The tapes I'm sure are probably the thing of most importance.

Back