• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GNU Debian Linux

facattack

Veteran Member
Sorry if there already is a thread concerning this... This article describes the product I bought but doesn't show a box shot.

After this I bought Red Hat then Corel Linux. Only Linux I ever got to install on a machine was Ubuntu... but Ubuntu doesn't seem to install on this HP Pavilion 6535 I have...

Could anyone tell me which choices to make in the setup? It seems simple enough but I keep messing things up... I'm trying to install Debian. I would love to install Ubuntu 12 as I just burned an install disc...

I'll have to drive up to a non-profit I go to procur my Corel Linux CD-ROMs again.... Sighs...

Defaults usually work just fine. Most Linuxes are roughly the same, so if there's a problem then don't waste your time - just move on to another one.

That said, you do know that a modern system needs at east 512meg to run in any recognizable manner - right? Generally people don't run Linux in anything less than 1GB unless they are experimenting with old kit just for the fun of it. A quick Google tells me that the HP Pavilion 6535 may have as little as 128Meg ram. That is considered unusable for anything which has a GUI. Even Fluxbox! However, you might try Puppy Linux, or the low resource version of Vector Linux.

Good luck!

Bit of a pain to find these days but there are ISOs of Coral Linux "Open Circulation" available on the internet with a bit of digging.

Also DSL, though old too, can install a pure Debian Linux system to hdd. There's plenty of other options as well.
128meg of ram unusable for a Gui Linux system? You must be joking right? Earlier versions of Slackware run KDE 1.x quite happily on that. Plenty of WMs and apps to chose from in fact that will run very well indeed.

Last edited:
Yep, DSL is cool.

128meg of ram unusable for a Gui Linux system? You must be joking right? Earlier versions of Slackware run KDE 1.x quite happily on that. Plenty of WMs and apps to chose from in fact that will run very well indeed.

No, I'm not joking, but there is a matter of perspective here which has a lot to do with expectations.

I've got a Toshiba with Debian 5.0 and Fluxbox running on a P266 with 64MB ram and yes, it runs just fine, but you're not going to run Firefox or play music or videos. Which is great, but I also set up a PIII with 256MB ram in an effort to seriously use it. Again a Toshiba with Debian 5.0 and Fluxbox. The performance is very disappointing indeed. One can stream audio off the net because that's a fairly static thing. Browsing is too slow for anything but emergencies. It does have Adobe flash and the most functional browser seems to be Epiphany. I suppose if one doesn't mind waiting for something to happen, then it could be called functional. We all have different ideas about that I guess. :)

PS: In the low end machines, I've also got a PIII-533 with 320MB running Vector Linux 5.9 Standard and that's definitely better.

Defaults usually work just fine. Most Linuxes are roughly the same, so if there's a problem then don't waste your time - just move on to another one.

Debian is a bit different, at least in current distros. Debian kernels are compiled as 486; most other Linuces are compiled with i686. This can be a problem if you're trying to run it on, say, a K6 CPU or earlier. But this shouldn't matter in your case.

If I read the specs right, your system has the Korean TriGem Cognac motherboard (Welcome to the "new" HP. Remember when HP used to design and manufacture their own stuff?. This was the motherboard used in some low eMachines models.

The documentation seems to indicate that it's possible to put 2x128MB PC100 SDRAM SIMMs in this thing for memory. If you intend on runinng a GUI desktop, you should definitely do this. The 810 takes display memory from your main memory, instead of having private display RAM.

Depending on your Linux version, you may want to read this Intel note on Linux and the 810 chipset.

It took me several days to realize I had to unscrew the one side of the machine where the mother board is mounted. This removes completely allowing immediate access to the RAM slots and all other parts of the motherboard... but getting the various parts plugged in can be tricky.

I do have 256 RAM max in it... two sticks of 128 mb.

How do I start the GUI from command prompt? The book says something like "Installing this feature in the olden days was considered a right of passage" or some other crap. Learning Debian GNU / Linux by McCarthy.

On the hope that the installer has done some work for you, try the command "startx" or "startX". This may be located in the /usr/bin or /usr/X11R6/bin directories.

Back