• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Good EGA card that fits inside a 5160 case

Oughta be possible to eyeball or even measure a photo from eBay though.

A good eyeball rule of thumb is an XT card allows *about* the width of a standard narrow DIP chip to be sticking up above the bracket. By contrast an AT card has enough space for most 7400 logic chips *the long way*.

I looked again at that HP OEM card and I’m back to 90% sure that it just looks too tall because of the extreme angle it’s at. But, yeah, if anyone ever does run across an actually too tall card, well, pics or it didn’t happen.

I ended up getting a decent deal on this (admittedly rather worn, but fully functional) Chips & Technologies Super EGA card, which seems to be a variant of this card (chipset also described here).

Looking forward to trying it out!
In addition to this, I got my hands on a shiny EGA Wonder 800+ card from a friendly domestic seller in a Facebook group:

408950652_10224705160592828_4448503710778656254_n.jpg

For this nice-looking item, I paid the equivalent of £34 (including shipping), ie just slightly more than half of what I paid (£66.25, including shipping/VAT/customs) for the worn Super EGA card described in my previous post, which, alas, had already shipped by that point.

That's what I get for being too trigger happy, I suppose. Then again, it will be interesting to try both cards and compare them to one another!

I wonder, for example, if my PX-22 monitor will be able to properly display the 16 color VGA mode that the 800+ allows for.

Note that the card on the photo above seems to be almost identical to the 800+ card shown here, apart from differing chip numbers in one or a couple of cases, so this purchase seems to be the brand-name deal and not some OEM/cheapster variation.

Last edited:
Back