• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Google Groups Cromemco Group Seems Challenging To Join. Help Requested!

Kudzu Kid

Hi All,

I also posted this to the S100 Google Group - in case anyone there can help.

The Google Groups Cromemco group seems to be set up in a spin cycle for new members.
When I click on the "Contact Owners and Managers" button, I can type a message (apparently a masked email).

Cromemco Group Contact Form 2022-12-14_20-50-33.jpg

That form, in turn, results in a scold email:

Cromemco Email Bounce_2022-12-14_21-08-25.jpg

Now I've essentially gone full circle! If I click the link shown above, as that will take me to the screen in the first screen shot. Apparently someone wants to keep the group REALLY REALLY private. I'm good with that, I hate spammers and trolls as much as the next guy, but I think it's not intuitive to me how I DO join. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Many thanks all!

It's just sad how much vintage computer information is locked up in proprietary, arbitrary systems like Google Groups, or worse — Facebook.

Few people realize that they're an "AI" hiccup away from being permanently locked out of these companies.

Thankfully, people still post manuals to archive.org which isn't going to cut off your access to information about Cromemcos because your kid said a bad word into a Google-linked video game.

This forum is among the better places to post information, and hopefully archive.org crawls this site.

Sorry for the rant. I just hate so much information is hidden from the public inside faulty, proprietary services.

(Disclosure: I've been locked out of Facebook for about five years because of a 2FA error, and now I can't access many vintage computer discussions.)

Thanks for your response.

At my stage of life, and after several decades in IT, and more medications than I can remember - I find a password manager (1Password in my case, there are others!) is really helpful!

Cheers!

Please note that there is a perfectly valid reason for this. It is just that you are not aware of it.

However, there is also another problem with the way the group was set-up originally, and this is somewhat problematic as the administrator is also stuck in a 'spin cycle' himself.

Do you want to send me a direct mail at VCFED detailing the email address you wish to be contacted on and I will forward that on to the relevant person on your behalf?

The group is well worth joining if you have (or want) a Cromemco! I promise...

Dave

However, there is also another problem with the way the group was set-up originally, and this is somewhat problematic as the administrator is also stuck in a 'spin cycle' himself.
Sorry to hear that...
Do you want to send me a direct mail at VCFED detailing the email address you wish to be contacted on and I will forward that on to the relevant person on your behalf?

I appreciate that. DM sent. :)

The group is well worth joining if you have (or want) a Cromemco! I promise...

I can't wait! Have a great day and many thanks!

--P

Hi All,

I also posted this to the S100 Google Group - in case anyone there can help.

The Google Groups Cromemco group seems to be set up in a spin cycle for new members.
When I click on the "Contact Owners and Managers" button, I can type a message (apparently a masked email).

View attachment 1250124

That form, in turn, results in a scold email:

View attachment 1250125

Now I've essentially gone full circle! If I click the link shown above, as that will take me to the screen in the first screen shot. Apparently someone wants to keep the group REALLY REALLY private. I'm good with that, I hate spammers and trolls as much as the next guy, but I think it's not intuitive to me how I DO join. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Many thanks all!

Hello Kudzu,

I'd like to personally respond since I help run the Google Group for Cromemco. The issue we have is that the creator of the Google group has disappeared and there appears to be no way for me (despite the more than 10,000 hours of work and I am I made for the Cromemco users) to take over it from Google. So when you click on the communication link it does not go well.

So we are where we are. I've posted in the Google Groups forums about this but nobody has ever come to my assistance

For Cromemco Users there are two reference points

a) The Google Group, which I can add you into
b) The Github which stores the repository of all known Cromemco information. That includes machine code, brochures, programs by individuals, disassemblies, original Cromemco manuals, the whole shebang.

To join that you would start here GitHub - cromemcos/public: How to join the Cromemcos Repository

You can use that arena to find the email to ask for Cromemco Google Group membership

So with that said I look forward to your email and to others interested in Cromemco .

regards m

Back