• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

got a complete 8088 yesterday...

84TAVeRT

Experienced Member
case similar to ibm 8088 (PC-Connection) FD-1000 label
2 - 1/2 height 360k floppy drives
full height black block off plate
cga video card with 2 composite outputs

the motherboard is a bit weird, has built on floppy serial and parallel... and what appears to be a scsi header and 2 floppy drive controllers...

and some other weird 8-bit card, looks like a video card, but has a data in RCA jack, 2 data out RCA jacks and what looks like an rgb 9 pin port...

i tried hooking it upto the CGA Princeton monitor i got with the system, but it didn't appear to do anything with the monitor

i think it was used for some automation task, like triggering reel to reel projectors, slide projectors, and some old audio hardware

this machine fires up and runs perfect off of the 20mb mfm drive i got a couple weeks ago... (IBM personal DOS 3.1 installed)

so what is the best dos version for games on 640kb ram... i will be installing the OS from my 486, because i don't have and 360k floppy disks...

i am going to try to get my creative labs panasonic cd-rom and sbpro to work in the xt this weekend, but i have to clear my desk first...

later,
Chris

i will be installing the OS from my 486, because i don't have and 360k floppy disks...

i am going to try to get my creative labs panasonic cd-rom and sbpro to work in the xt this weekend, but i have to clear my desk first...

later,
Chris

If the OS you're talking about is nomething more recen than Windoes 3.0, forget it. It's using 386 codes, and will need a 386 or momre recent CPU to work.

The CD-ROM might work, bu all depends on if you got one of therse turbo-XTs. As of I have heard, the CD-ROM drivers won't work in 4.77MHz computers. However, the SB Pro itself will work if you set up the envroniment variable correctly.

no... i meant i would be using my 486 to load the OS onto the hard drive...

since i don't have any 360k floppy disks to use for it...

the card has very few markings on it... not even an fcc-id

Wow. I was gong to throw out an old card from an XT and googled it.
Found this site....
:):)

Anyway, from an old XT guru...that card is an EGA card. The technology only lived a short time before VGA replaced it. Uses 9 pin like monochrome or CGA but much better colors. Nearly as good as VGA.

FWIW I have this old card that plugs into an 8 bit slot. It is designed to make an XT into a 386. I yanked the 386-16 off and replaced it with an upgrade 486DLC which fits on the 386 socket. Do you want it?

(Edit)Opps. So excited I didn't notice page 2. Also not trying to hijack the thread.

(Edit 4/3/2009) OK I put the 386 card in a box with a couple other "vintage" parts and someone being HELPFUL threw out the box.
I dont have the 386 card anymore, nor the 586 chip designed for a 486 socket, nor the 8 bit SCSI card with 80GIG and 50 pin cable, nor the 8 bit memory card that worked wonders for a disk cache on that SCSI. davd_bob

Last edited:
update...

the monitor is a Princeton FX-12 RGB my guess is CGA, it works well...

i got a VGA card that i am going to put in one of my XTs :)

later,
Chris

Back