• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got a whack of Amiga stuff for $90

falter

Veteran Member
Found a few more Amiga items in my local craigslist. Bought all of it for $90:

1x Amiga A600HD (works, w/workbench 2.0. also had something called Scala MM installed along with the 'key' (some kind of copyprotect that goes in the mouse port?) - this was $25 from a separate vendor
1x Commodore 1084 monitor (not 1084s)
1x Amiga 500, boxed, inside some kind of weird Amiga starter kit box. Unfortunately what would have come with the starter kit (games, etc) appears to be mostly gone. Amiga did have all of its manuals, etc.
1x Master 3A1 external amiga floppy
1x A501 RAM expansion kit
1x A520 MOD (adapts to composite and TV connections)

The A600HD has proven a huge asset. For some reason I could not get Amiga Explorer to transfer itself properly to my A500. Thought it was the cable, but on giving it a try with the A600 it's been working perfectly. Nuclear War here I come. :)

Really would like to be using the A2000, which is the machine I dreamed of as a kid and just fixed here... but no keyboard!

Also.. the 1084 -- it's identical to the 1080 almost, save for badges? Is that what you guys were saying.. different 1084 monitors = different manufacturers? It seems to work really well, except for some games the vhold has to be adjusted, or in the case of one game, the position is a bit too low. Wish the v position could be adjusted.

Last edited:
Lucky - I've wanted an A600 for ages, but haven't found one outside of evilbay... Scored a few A1200's back in the day... sold one, kept one, recently purchased another motherboard for a spare, plus to get the Blizzard IV + SCSI that was attached to it ;)

Lucky - I've wanted an A600 for ages, but haven't found one outside of evilbay... Scored a few A1200's back in the day... sold one, kept one, recently purchased another motherboard for a spare, plus to get the Blizzard IV + SCSI that was attached to it ;)

Yeah I was under the impression the 600 was more of a European thing than North American. I was just so happy to find it so cheaply. However I kind of want to go easy on it -- not sure how much life the hard drive has left. I note too it's kinda just slightly 'twisted'.. like you have to push on all four corners to get all four to touch the ground. Guess they didn't dissipate heat well?

Yeah I was under the impression the 600 was more of a European thing than North American. I was just so happy to find it so cheaply. However I kind of want to go easy on it -- not sure how much life the hard drive has left. I note too it's kinda just slightly 'twisted'.. like you have to push on all four corners to get all four to touch the ground. Guess they didn't dissipate heat well?

Is it a Canadian model? I've heard that the NTSC A1200 was only sold in Canada, not the USA, but I'm not sure about the A600.

The A600 and A1200 were available in the US and Canada but were more popular in Canada. They didn't sell well here, as they had a difficult time competing with mass-market 386sx machines.

The A600 was in an especially tight spot. It added an IDE interface that the A500 didn't have, but in most other regards, the A500 was the better machine. Commodore's engineers had several other ideas for a replacement for the A500 that would have been a step up, but management liked the A600, possibly because it looked a lot like the C-64.

Very nice find, BTW.

As for the 1084... It was made by Philips. There were at least two variants of the 1084, and one of them may have been made by someone else. The 1080 was made by Hitachi, I'm pretty sure. Functionally they were very similar.

Back