• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got this military crated computer, first haul in s while!

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I went to Edgar Digital with a friend of mine a few days back and get this machine. It looks to be a backplane system, with a definitely divide between user interface/monitor and machine. Very interesting, and I found two stickers inside that said 1981. Most of it is wire sound, with some PSB's in there with through hole construction. I took a handful of pictures of it taken apart, there were parts stuffed in the case that apparently were a part of it at one time or another, there are matching slots for the edges, and one still in.

If anybody can tell me what kind of machine this is, greatly appreciated!

Sorry for not posting here in a while guys, been busy dealing with real life issues, which all of a sudden seem to lull on a Sunday. military computer (3).jpgmilitary computer (2).jpgmilitary computer (1).jpgmilitary computer (4).jpg ...and the posting of pictures has changed since I was here last. Neat.

Attachments

• military computer (5).jpg
    military computer (5).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hard to tell. Any interesting labels on it? What kind of cpu / cpus does it have? any storage? any io?

Could you provide some pictures from direct angles? Highly tilted shots make it hard to read.

A large array (4 rows of 8 ) of connectors in the back suggest some form of programmable switch or PBX. 2 floppy drives and what looks like 4-6 memory cards plus CPU card and some other cards make it fairly powerful. Well, I am guessing that the cards with many smaller chips in identical rows are for memory and the card with a very large chip in it is for a CPU.

Almost impossible to say from the photos. Best guess at this time is some sort of prototype or test lashup, judging from the wire-wrapped PC boards and the magic-marker labeled terminals.

From the number of screws and pattern is this a tempest compliant device? That's how a few of my cases seem to be (I have no idea what the actual standard is but it seems to have case screws every inch or half inch).

Back