• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Great Site

nymetropolitans

Experienced Member
I stumbled across this site after being intrigued by this video I found on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Nn0eDF9X0

I've been spending any spare time I've had in the last day or so reading the posts on here and it really brings me back. I don't have any "vintage" computer equipment these days, but up until about...2001 I guess...I used nothing but an ancient Tandy 1000RLX with a 2400 baud Hayes modem to connect to the internet. A local library had a free dialup service available that you could use the Lynx browser through, wasn't even all that slow since it was entirely text. That was a strange computer with DOS loaded into the ROM (I think) and I was never able to successfully install Windows on it....there used to be some company that made a ridiculous amount of aftermarket parts for Tandy computers, at one point you could even buy a Pentium motherboard that would squeeze into the tiny RLX case. The name escapes me at the moment but I may still have their catalog around somewhere...I'll have to look. I had a Mac 512k at one point too and that might still be kicking around in the attic....

Reading this site makes me wish I'd never have tossed all that stuff...I'd love to try and fire it up again and try to get it connected to my home network! Anyway, keep up the good work I'll be checking back in often!

Reading this site makes me wish I'd never have tossed all that stuff...

Welcome to the forums.

I've had to buy back some stuff I had tossed. The ZX-81 and C-64 for starters. I'd love to get an NEC PC8201A again too. I used to own one of those and had fun playing adventure games in bed (typed out from "Captain 80s book of BASIC Adventures"). Of course I sold the computer for a few bucks back in 1988.

I wish I'd kept it. I've got a Model 100 now. Good for the historical angle, but not the same from a personal nostalgia point of view. :)

Tez

Welcome!

Yeah, I know how you feel about wishing you would've kept something. Back when I was just getting in to this hobby(2 Novembers ago) I was a fool. I got rid of 2 nice systems, one with an HDD(MFM)! Some other this 'n' that stuff too. Well I was smart enough to not send it to the garbage, but instead to the local thrift store of which I had befriended the owners. I always get first pick on electronics.

--Ryan

NYM,

You've got to come over to www.midatlanticretro.org ... we are a vintage computing user group with several members in NY. We're building a bricks-and-mortar computer museum on the Jersey shore, and we host the VCF East. Join our Yahoo group (via the link above) where you're find dozens of like-minded people in the area.

- Evan

Back