• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Great tool for desoldering

Just as a follow-up to this, a couple of weeks ago, I bought a couple of more tips the same as the one that came with it off the same guy, and 3 smaller diameter tips. I think the tips were something like 2.75US plus free shipping.

Well, the smaller diameter tips are even better for removing ICs than the other tips were because you're not heating the whole pad, just the area around the pin so even the worse desolderer would be hard-pressed to cook the pad off. A couple of seconds on a regular pad and about 6 seconds on a power or ground pad, pres the button and it cleans the via out completely. No having to wiggle the pins with an iron to unstick them from the side, just push the little button, move on to the next and the chip drops out on the bench.

The larger diameter ones are good for component leads and power transistors. Just heat the pin and pad, move the lead into the center of the via and push the button. The component drops right out.

I've rarely been this satisfied with ANY type of tool I've bought and, seeing as I use this a LOT in my work, that's important.

I got one of these tools that Dru recommended.

I like it a lot, but it is some trouble to keep tinned, but with care it seems to work okay. I have no idea of the longevity. The seller does include a sheet of his own instructions, including advising use of Teflon plumber's tape to make removal of the tip easier (a good suggestion).

I've seen a couple of other tools for not too much that include their own vacuum pumps and might be a little easier to handle. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Style 1

Style 2

The latter looks like a clone of a Hakko desoldering gun. Note that both are 2-wire 220V units. I wouldn't in my wildest dreams hook one of these to the shop 50A 240V circuit lest it turn into a puddle of molten plastic on my bench. I was thinking of a 120-240V "step up" transformer as used in travel adapters, etc.

The 2-blade plugs on these things look like they're for Australia/NZ.

For 2-wire 220V circuits, what's the convention for ground? In other words, is distribution 110-0-110 (CT grounded) or is it 220-0 (one leg grounded)?

Well, the second one looks pretty cool, but, the first one looks like it would get uncomfortable to hold pretty quickly.

I like the second one except for the glass tube, filters and cleaning rods. Brings back bad memories of a certain solder/desolder station LOL

Do they sell extra glass tubes or do you have to cut your own?

Eh, looking at the Chinese vendors, probably not. It appears to be clone of the Hakko 808 and so might take the same receiver.

But you may be far better off just looking for a good deal on a Hakko 808. A lot of folks think that it's the cat's whiskers.

Eh, looking at the Chinese vendors, probably not. It appears to be clone of the Hakko 808 and so might take the same receiver.

But you may be far better off just looking for a good deal on a Hakko 808. A lot of folks think that it's the cat's whiskers.

I think I'll stick with the one I have. It does a good job, doesn't have any parts to change, tips are cheap and, if it breaks, I'll throw it away and get another one.

In fact, I think I'll order another one now.

Back