• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GVP A2000-030 r4 help needed

RetroNinja

Hello,
Recently I came into ownership of a GVP A2000-030 EC Combo Rev4 board. I cannot get it to run and was hoping for some help. I did find a manual on Amiga Resources CX but the problem is the manual is for rev1 (I guess). This board is rev4. My board has some of the jumpers moved and some are missing. On the board, not all pin1 are oriented the same. To determine pin1 (so I can figure out the jumper position) I looked at the back of the card and guessed that anything with a square solder point is pin 1> check photos to see what I mean. What I'm hoping to get from here is
  • a manual for rev4
  • opinions on the best placement of jumpers
  • someone using this board, listing where their jumpers are placed
The board could also just be dead. When I move the jumper to disable the board my A2000 boots fine (w/o accelerator active). Otherwise my A2000 will not boot/no screen color error msg.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 13
  • mid.jpg
    mid.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 14
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 14
  • mid_upper1.jpg
    mid_upper1.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 13
  • over1.jpg
    over1.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 13
  • pin1.jpg
    pin1.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 14
Hi,
this is the information I have regarding the jumper set-up
it could be a problem related to the PALs logic and by trial and error you could replace them all with GALs that you can program with the attached files.

J2/J3 - (already documented in manual)
J4-J7 - Reserved - Memory Controller options - Clock speed related (documented in manual/online).
J8/J9 - (already documented in manual)
J10 - Reserved - Unimplemented memory selection option.
J11 - Intended for the legacy German A2000 4-layer PCB (must Remove the 68000 CPU when legacy mode selected)
J12 - (Already documented in manual) - Memory AutoConfig Option or All-software Mapped Memory >=$01000000
J13 - Reserved - Unimplemented SIMM32 selection option.
J!4 - (already documented in manual) - Tells driver to ignore SCSI bus, i.e. - no drive connected.
J15 - Reserved - Internal test option.
J16 - (already documented in manual) - Motherboard DTACK signal pull up option for older 4.x motherboards

CN7 / CN8 - Reserved. Clocking options related to CPU and board internal clock speed / memory timing / clock quality. CN8 removed for Rev 4*.

CN14 - Reserved - Undocumented DPRC clock source (Default 7Hz)
CN15 - Reserved - Undocumented 33C93A clock source (Default 14MHz)
CN16 - (already documented in manual) - FPU clock source option.
CN17 - Reserved - Undocumented internal clock option (appears on Rev 4, *speculation: May be internal options similar to CN8, but purpose modified enough to need a different label)

GVP_Series_II_Accelerator_Board_for_A2000_Users_Guide

Attachments

• GVP_G-Force_030_50MHz_full_GALs_GJD_files.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 9
Some A2000 boards you need to remove the onboard CPU to use the accelerator, have you tried that also?
Thanks, I have not tried that. I look at the manual and see what they say - if needed, it should state it pretty much as step 1. I just flipped/read to the jumper section.

Last edited:
Hi,
it could be a problem related to the PALs logic and by trial and error you could replace them all with GALs that you can program with the attached files.

J4-J7 - Reserved - Memory Controller options - Clock speed related (documented in manual/online).
J11 - Intended for the legacy German A2000 4-layer PCB (must Remove the 68000 CPU when legacy mode selected)
J12 - (Already documented in manual) - Memory AutoConfig Option or All-software Mapped Memory >=$01000000
J!4 - (already documented in manual) - Tells driver to ignore SCSI bus, i.e. - no drive connected.
J16 - (already documented in manual) - Motherboard DTACK signal pull up option for older 4.x motherboards

CN7 / CN8 - Reserved. Clocking options related to CPU and board internal clock speed / memory timing / clock quality. CN8 removed for Rev 4*.

CN17 - Reserved - Undocumented internal clock option (appears on Rev 4, *speculation: May be internal options similar to CN8, but purpose modified enough to need a different label)

Thanks, I'll step through your info. What do you think "CN8 removed for Rev 4*." means? Is it 'remove the jumper' or that CN8 should not appear on the PCB? My concern is that I'm getting the correct info for the correct board. There are a number of revisions and similar GVP products. I'm trying to 'empirically' apply the correct docs to the correct board.

What's your opinion of J12? It is used to pick a memory position if you have SIMMs installed. I don't have any SIMMs (anybody want to sell me some?), so I think J12 does not matter on or off. What if there is another memory board in the A2000? My testing is with a base A2000 and only this GVP card so it doesn't matter in this scenario. I just trying to fill out my general knowledge.

Thanks, I'll step through your info. What do you think "CN8 removed for Rev 4*." means? Is it 'remove the jumper' or that CN8 should not appear on the PCB? My concern is that I'm getting the correct info for the correct board. There are a number of revisions and similar GVP products. I'm trying to 'empirically' apply the correct docs to the correct board.
it say that CN8 disappeared from the G-Force Rev 3 to Rev 4.
in your board (40Mhz ?) CN8 is set on pin 2-3, check this manual on page 17.

What's your opinion of J12? It is used to pick a memory position if you have SIMMs installed. I don't have any SIMMs (anybody want to sell me some?), so I think J12 does not matter on or off. What if there is another memory board in the A2000? My testing is with a base A2000 and only this GVP card so it doesn't matter in this scenario. I just trying to fill out my general knowledge.
this jumper (j12) sets the first 8mb as extended memory or in the autoconfig 24bit addressing range. in your case have only 4mb on-board.
I suggest you configure it as extended (pin 1-2) to avoid conflicts with other memory cards or scsi controllers with ram or rtg video card or bridgeboard ecc. ecc.

memory modules they are quite hard to find, you can try to build by yourself ;)

Oh hey, this is the same board I have in my 2000.

...hey, you have the exact same problem I ran into and couldn't resolve 12 years ago. The board revisions are very poorly documented and far too expensive to find another and do part swaps and comparisons.

Hi,

I found your link to the 50MHz GAL files to be very interesting as I have a 40MHz version of that board, so I decided to try them to upgrade my board to 50MHz.
I had previously tried this without success, even though I have a 50MHz 030 installed. It was then that I found that the PALs had to be changed too, and I did not have the correct ones. I then put the idea on hold until found your files.

Unfortunately the GAL files provided do not work at all. To program them, I did the following:
I used my TOP3000 programmer, which supports GALs.
The files programmed onto the GALs OK, and they verified OK. They can be read back too, as the protection bit was not set.
I tried both Lattice and Atmel GALS (22V10 and 16V8 as appropriate).
Initially I tried only the PAL/GAL that was different between the 40 & 50 MHz versions (U36). The only sign of life on power up was the power LED going from dim to bright.
I then tried replacing all PALs with GALs programmed with the files provided, but there was no sign of life at all, the power LED stayed dim.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or any suggestions?

Last edited:
I found your link to the 50MHz GAL files to be very interesting as I have a 40MHz version of that board, so I decided to try them to upgrade my board to 50MHz.
I had previously tried this without success, even though I have a 50MHz 030 installed. It was then that I found that the PALs had to be changed too, and I did not have the correct ones. I then put the idea on hold until found your files.

Unfortunately the GAL files provided do not work at all. To program them, I did the following:
I used my TOP3000 programmer, which supports GALs.
The files programmed onto the GALs OK, and they verified OK. They can be read back too, as the protection bit was not set.
I tried both Lattice and Atmel GALS (22V10 and 16V8 as appropriate).
Initially I tried only the PAL/GAL that was different between the 40 & 50 MHz versions (U36). The only sign of life on power up was the power LED going from dim to bright.
I then tried replacing all PALs with GALs programmed with the files provided, but there was no sign of life at all, the power LED stayed dim.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or any suggestions?
Hi,
take a look here

Hi,
take a look here
Thanks for that.
I tried it with the jumper settings recommended there, but no luck. I get the power light going from dim to bright, but after that, nothing.
My U38 has a checksum of 90C4, and I have a full 50MHz 030 installed.
I haven't yet tried changing R3, 4, 38, & 39 as suggested to 1K. Its very late here, so I'll try them tomorrow.

Thanks for that.
I tried it with the jumper settings recommended there, but no luck. I get the power light going from dim to bright, but after that, nothing.
My U38 has a checksum of 90C4, and I have a full 50MHz 030 installed.
I haven't yet tried changing R3, 4, 38, & 39 as suggested to 1K. Its very late here, so I'll try them tomorrow.
I have now tried the resistor mod, but unfortunately it makes no difference at all.

Back