• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hacked Netpliance i-opener

animekenji

Experienced Member
Does anyone else have one of these? I picked one up a while back for cheap and was wondering if anyone had installed an Evergreen Spectra K6-2 upgrade in one.

I haven't done it personally but from the looks of some i-opener modding sites it looks like it's just a regular 3.3v socket 7 socket but they recommend sticking with Winchips for whatever reason (Winchip 2 is what they say has 3dnow ability).

It's been a long time since I've thought about those things, but IIRC the only actual issue with the Spectra is physical clearance. In other words, it'll work fine, but you have to cut a hole in the back of the casing in order to fit any kind of heatsink on the CPU. Which isn't necessarily a bad idea anyway, since those things are pretty limited on cooling... unless you're looking to keep the thing looking original for whatever reason.

You can also modify those things to provide the proper voltages for K6-2 and K6-III (and even K6-2+ and III+ chips) directly from the motherboard, though it involved some soldering and was a bit of a messy hack if I recall. I've also heard that some later revisions of the motherboard didn't need to be modified at all, just some jumper/switch settings changed, but I've never encountered one of those so I'm not sure on that. Might be worth checking out, though, in case you have one of said revisions...

I have one hacked. The problem with newer/better CPUs is that the motherboard doesn't support the split voltages needed by the Pentium MMX and AMD chips. There was a heatsink/fan that fit with only cutting the metal shielding, the Tennmax Lasagna cooler, which is no longer available for sale. They made a version that was PnP with the power header in the iOpener.

I've got one of these that I hacked quite a while back. I even picked up the hard drive mounting bracket and Lasagna cooler for it. It's been in the closet for years and I really need to re-image it and get it online again. Such a neat little device. :)

Heather

Back