• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HALT & CATCH FIRE on AMC TV General Discussion...

CanadaPhil

Experienced Member
Just thought I would set up a placeholder for anyone who might like to discuss this very unique show. Against all odds, it will be returning for it's 4th and Final season on AMC this Summer. The plotline is now up to about 1991 and the "birth" of the Internet as we know it today.

Season 1 began with the early 80's Personal Computer revolution and the reverse engineering of the IBM PC.. In subsequent seasons, Commodore computers had a prominent role in a plotline very reminicent of the QuamtumLink telecommunications service (with a fictional company named "Mutiny".

There had been a active forum on the show on IMDB when the seasons were are running, but with the pending closure of ALL of IMDB's message boards as of Feb.20th, that venue will not be available to discuss this (or ANY tv show or movie for that matter) in just a few days.

For some background...

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

The show has merits but personally I abandoned any hope within five minutes on the first episode when they shimmed in a sex scene. I've only heard small bits of the later episodes, mainly when the boards lit up about certain computers being shown.

If you had made it through to the finale of Season 3, you would have seen the appearance of NeXt workstations and the plot now revolving around adding to the work of Tim Berners Lee and the birth of the World Wide Web!

That is the focus of the 4th and final season.

I'm already aware of the presence of a NeXT. Likewise everyone is predicting a jump in demand as hipsters begin looking for one again.

I am a big fan of this series. There are plenty of technical and historical bloopers but it's just such a novelty to see this subject matter in big-budget TV drama. Looking forward to the final season as so far, each season has improved on the last.

.... It's just such a novelty to see this subject matter in big-budget TV drama. Looking forward to the final season as so far, each season has improved on the last.

Yes, who would have ever believed that a period piece about the dawn of the personal computer age set in the early 80's would have made it to it's 4th season?

While I came sooooooo close to dumping it in the 2nd season, the evolution of the storyline into the latter part of S.3 has really redeemed this series from my point if view. I am thankful that such a show actually exists in 2017. It is great TV!

Looking forward to the final 10 episodes.

It's been a bit inconsistent and the second series was a step down from the first, but this has been a really good show overall. The third series ended on a high note and I'm eagerly awaiting the fourth and final one. They'll be able to use all their best ideas without having to save them for future episodes. One thing they've got consistently wrong though are the modem sounds, they're too modern. Modems in the 1980's didn't sound like they do on the show. Mislabelled sound effect perhaps?

I'm already aware of the presence of a NeXT. Likewise everyone is predicting a jump in demand as hipsters begin looking for one again.

I wouldn't mind making back some of the cash I lost from the last spike because I'm so impatient. :)

Back