• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hardware Values

Tincanalley

Experienced Member
I don't know if this is the place to inquire about value of hardware, but I figured I'd ask. If this isn't the place, or there is somewhere better, let me know.

Anyway, I have my original IBM PS/2 50Z purchased back in '88. Had I knows what was to become of Microchannel, or the limitations this machine would have, I never would have purchased it. Still, I did what I could to make it a usable system by upgrading the pieces I could. I started with a memory board, them moved to a video card. I was very disappointed to find out that the VGA built in would be passed through the card and I would only see an increase if performance using higher resolutions that were limited to specialized programs. Dos games, for the most part, never went above VGA until after the PC was was too old to play the. In a last ditched attempt I upgrade it with the Sound Blaster Pro MCV and an AOX Micromaster 386/25 board. This helped and kept the machine running until '92 when I just had to mothball it.

Anyway, I hear the SBPro MCV is a very rear card and I haven't seen the AOX 386/25 on ebay or on any site other than ADF and other info sites. While I'd like to keep the machine, I don't need the adapter cards and am thinking of selling them. Just don't know what the market value is for these two cards.

Any idea as to value, or where I might go to find it?

Thanks

A Sound Blaster Pro 2 MCV sold for $170 in November. It wasn't an auction though, so maybe somebody got a deal.

At some point a Micromaster 386/25 was sold on ebay but it was longer than 90 days ago. So you can't see it in the ebay completed listings anymore and need a worthpoint account to see the price.

Was it the 50Z that had production problems with IBM swapping motherboards under warranty? Too long ago to remember.
I know there were some issues, but mine never suffered from them, nor was it up for replacement. It has been a good machine in that respect.

The AOX seems to be pretty rare as it only works on the 50/60 units. I might toss it up on ebay and see what it fetches. As for the SB Pro, it isn't the best sound card, but there weren't many options. I understand there is someone that has made an Adlib MC card you can buy.

Back