• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Has anyone seen an Osborne keyboard like this?

And I just checked Ebay and there are four Osborne 1's that have a keyboard with the solid arrow keys, so maybe these things are not that uncommon.

I looked at some of mine and I have an 01 and an 01A.

Attachments

• 20231015_190516.jpg
    20231015_190516.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231015_190529.jpg
    20231015_190529.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231015_190641.jpg
    20231015_190641.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
Looks like your wish was granted. ;)

Maybe Osborne used them as a suppler or it could be they were a aftermarket product.

I was in my early 20's when the Osborne's came out and I did not get my first computer until long after they were gone.

I've been looking at old magazines and have yet to find an ad for them so maybe someone here will know.

Last edited:
In the Facebook group, I'd pinged Lee Felsenstein, as he frequents the Osborne group, and asked. I don't know if he knows but worth the ask.

OK, this chap here has the same keyboard with an OCC1 s/n 16448: https://munk.org/typecast/2016/02/16/paleocomputing-1981-osborne-1-cpm-portable-computer/

My OCC1 is in the 47xx range. So some fairly early OCC1s are around with this TEC keyboard.
Well with the early Osborne's ribbon cable pressing on the keys during storage causing the sticking problem on the membrane style boards, yes the newer style coiled cable style can still cause that if your not careful when you remount the keyboard to the case, I would think even some really low numbered Osborne's could have them as a replacement.

When you say replacement, you meant by factory (either in or out of warranty)? I have seen no evidence that any 3rd parties sold these, but seem rather variations from factory.

When you say replacement, you meant by factory (either in or out of warranty)? I have seen no evidence that any 3rd parties sold these, but seem rather variations from factory.
I have not seen any vintage ads listing them for sale, so if Osborne used them or maybe they were only sold to to computer repair shops and not the general public I just do not know.

But I do much prefer them over them membrane keyboards simply because they don't have the stuck key problem.

Back