• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Having trouble connecting a gotek to my Osborne 1a to run software

BushmanBushman

I have been having some issues attempting to install a gotek into my Osborne portable. So far I have attempted a couple of things but the computer always either reads out an error after starting to read the file or starts hanging the process without an error code. I'm not completely sure I have my gotek set up correctly and was wondering if anyone could send me their ff.cfg file or the correct jumper settings or anything I would need for my drive to recognize and be able to read from .hfe files. I'm not completely sure this is an issue specific to my hardware, as none of the disks that came with the computer either of the drives were able to read, but they still gave bad sector errors. It would be greatly appreciated. In case it is important, I have been trying to use the programs already prepared by Richard Loxley (https://www.richardloxley.com/2018/04/27/osborne-restoration-part-16-transferring-cpm-software/)

shirsch

Veteran Member
Hopefully you are aware that the O1 repurposes a bunch of the odd-numbered pins as power connections? Installation of a Gotek requires an adapter to avoid heartbreak.

BushmanBushman

Yes, I was already aware of this and made my own adapter before attempting to get the gotek working. I appreciate your concern though.

shirsch

Veteran Member
Heh. No one wants to be Captain Obvious, but vintage computer folks try to prevent other vintage computer folks from letting out the magic smoke.

Regarding your original issue, might be worth checking voltages and logic states at the Gotek end. Good luck!

BlaBla1985

Experienced Member
These are the CFG files I use for the Gotek in my Osborne 1. The main difference is that I have an older, stock Osborne 1 (not a 1A which I came the double density upgrade... but I could be wrong about that.), so these settings are for the single density drives. Although I think the 1A should at least be able to boot those. There is a SSSD bootdisk image in there aswell.

EDIT:
Also, as per this thread somewhere else: https://comp.os.cpm.narkive.com/dPFZxnAY/gotek-success-anyone

SSSD IMG.CFG

# Osborne 1: SSSD, 40 cyl
[::102400]
cyls = 40
heads = 1
interleave = 2
secs = 10
mode = fm
rate = 250
bps = 128
id = 1

SSDD IMG.CFG

[osb2]
cyls = 40
heads = 1
secs = 5
interleave = 1
bps = 1024
id = 1
#rpm = 360
rpm = 300
rate = 250
mode = mfm
iam = no

Attachments

• GotekFiles.zip
    91.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

cj7hawk

Veteran Member
These are the CFG files I use for the Gotek in my Osborne 1. The main difference is that I have an older, stock Osborne 1 (not a 1A which I came the double density upgrade... but I could be wrong about that.), so these settings are for the single density drives. Although I think the 1A should at least be able to boot those. There is a SSSD bootdisk image in there aswell.

EDIT:
Also, as per this thread somewhere else: https://comp.os.cpm.narkive.com/dPFZxnAY/gotek-success-anyone

I don't think the Gotek is the issue. The same problem appears to be happening both with normal disks and with the Gotek. See the other thread to better understand.

I'm guessing the issue is memory related, but it's not easy to tell.