• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Having weird issues with Dell Latitude D530... failing CPU?

BGoins12

Experienced Member
I figured I would ask here since there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. Recently I bought a Latitude D530 off eBay that was shown to have a bad hard drive.

I replaced the hard drive and put in my Windows 7 CD to install. Upon installing 7, it gets a BSOD with the 0x00000124 error, which generally points to a bad CPU or another type of hardware issue. Wondering if it was Windows, I popped in the Ubuntu CD to try that... nope. As soon as it gets into the GUI, it gets a kernel panic. Same thing, shows a processor related hardware error. I've had people tell me that this is a common sign of a failing CPU.

So far, I have tried everything. Removed all add-on cards, tried different memory, updated the BIOS to the latest revision, different hard drive, running it without the battery, etc. I've also ran the Dell system diags which have passed, Memtest, and even a few CPU stress tests. It can even go so far as to play games in DOS... but as soon as you go into a GUI like windows setup or Ubuntu, it freaks out. Anyone know what this could be? All of my searches online point to a failing CPU, or even motherboard. But I personally don't think it's the motherboard as I can play games and use programs in DOS with zero issues. Good thing I have a replacement CPU coming today, I ordered one before I even knew of the issue as it was a good deal.

Specs - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo (T7250), 1GB RAM.

Any help would be great!

Attachments

• 1426208_10152013661738970_6315703_n.jpg
    1426208_10152013661738970_6315703_n.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0382.jpg
    IMAG0382.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just off the top of my head I'm thinking you have heat related problem. Check to see if your system fan is coming on. If not, you can google for the maintenance manual and then gently pull the case apart for a look-see.

Glad to see that your back up and running. Kind of an odd that the solution turned out to replacing the CPU. I know a CPU can get wonky at any point in time, but I don't think I've ever seen one fail in a laptop. Good luck!

Last edited:
I've seen the same message pop up when some idiot bent a pin inserting the CPU. Thing comes up and then dies with some strange error.

I agree with that. However, save someone abusing the thing, its really not the norm.

Glad to report that the replacement CPU fixed it! :D

Good thing! Still, check the fan, as AO said. You don't want to burn out another CPU. I've got an idle Dell Latitude 620 sitting here waiting for a fan. It had exactly the same problem with kernel panic after a short while - running Mint. It's amazing how long it would run sometimes before it got too hot.

Oh, the fan and heatsink are 100%. First thing I do with any laptop I get is clean the heatsink and fan and repaste the CPU.

Back