• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Heathkit H11

QuantumII

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I've just had some time to test the heathkit haul.

What I've discovered so far is:

- The Dual 8" Floppy drive powers up nicely and spins the disks.
- The H11 also seems to work, but I cannot get a console output on the H89 (More on this below)

- The H89 is actually a H19 which was converted to a H89 All-in-one computer. It is supposed to boot to a "H:" prompt, but all it does it giving me a flashing cursor, and I can type stuff to the screen.

I think the computer part of the H89 is connected to the terminal part of the H89 internally (What the previous owner told me), and the computer board does not boot for whatever reason (Bad connections or something)

With the custom serial cable that came with the H11, should I be able to connect the H11 to a PC running Procom or similar terminal emulator ?

Also, Where am I supposed to connect the 8" floppy drive to ? A connector inside the H11 I suppose ?

I have all documentation for all of this equipment, but it will take ages to go trough everything.

Hi
The H89 is a H19 with a processor board added. The terminal
part could be used separately but if the computer part was
working, it usually had a serial board added. It wouldn't take
much of a program to just transfer the data to the internal
terminal. That way you could keep the H89 as a computer
and use it as a terminal for the H11 as well.
I'm not that much up on H11s. I couldn't tell you what boards
are required for normal operation.
Dwight

The H27 floppy drive plugs into the H27 floppy adapter board inside the machine. I'm not sure if he still checks in here, but Larry was a Heathkit technician who knows that machine really well. I have an H11, but gutted all the Heathkit cards and replaced them with dec cards. I gave all my original Heathkit cards to Larry.

Thanks. Okay, I'll check this out this evening. I guess I'll have to open the top cover on the H11 and get to the card cage and then connect the floppy drive.

For terminal I'll use a PC with a terminal emulator installed. I figure that will work.

Back