• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Heatsink ideas for pentium pro cpu's

jc179

Experienced Member
Anyone have any ideas for heatsinks for the old ppro CPUs?

I have a machine with dual socket 8 CPU's but no heatsink or clips were included.

Looking at Socket7, the clip is too short.

I did some googling and found some reference to using an AMD cooler, but nothing was mentioned specifically.

I found this on ebay ( I am not going to buy it), measurement wise the clip looks about right based off the size of the heatsink:

AMD HSF for FX 81xx CPU https://www.ebay.ca/itm/133654002985

Is there anything anyone can recommend? I don't need a fan, just something basic and inexpensive would do!

thanks
Jonathan

Thanks very much, I hadn't seen those options before, like the idea of the NEC heatsinks, since the machine is designed for passive cooling, however the HSF combo is good too. I do wish they weren't $40 but probably not going to find a stand alone solution for less!

Jonathan

Thanks very much, I hadn't seen those options before, like the idea of the NEC heatsinks, since the machine is designed for passive cooling,

Pentium Pros (especially the 200 MHz 512k and 1 MB cache variants) in no way can be passively cooled. The 1 MB parts especially have a TDP close to 70W, they get HOT. And since power saving features were sparse back in those days, the CPUs will pull near that constantly. My Dual PPro 200 MHz 1M cache board gets very toasty and needs good active cooling.

You may be able to get away with a Socket 939/940 or AM2/3/4 cooler if your motherboard doesn't have anything interfering with them sitting on the CPUs. Those are certainly far better than the regular Socket 8 coolers.

Pentium Pros (especially the 200 MHz 512k and 1 MB cache variants) in no way can be passively cooled. The 1 MB parts especially have a TDP close to 70W, they get HOT. And since power saving features were sparse back in those days, the CPUs will pull near that constantly. My Dual PPro 200 MHz 1M cache board gets very toasty and needs good active cooling.

You may be able to get away with a Socket 939/940 or AM2/3/4 cooler if your motherboard doesn't have anything interfering with them sitting on the CPUs. Those are certainly far better than the regular Socket 8 coolers.
Max TDP is 44W for the 1MB part (wiki, or 52W max CPU World), 35W or so for the common 256K cache models.

While some OEM had passive coolers for the PPro and Socket 5 CPUs they also had case fans blowing air over them and the heatsinks were pretty large compared to what was use for Pentiums. Quite a few Socket 5 P60/66 systems died if the case fans quit spinning.

Ah ok, I will have a look for that maybe before spending so much on a SKT 8 cooler. Mine are just 256k 200 mhz ppros, due to cost not going with the 1MB versions! This is going in a IBM PC365 so there is lots of room as the CPU sit alone at the front right (as long as I don't put any super long cards in there that is ).

Max TDP is 44W for the 1MB part (wiki, or 52W max CPU World), 35W or so for the common 256K cache models.

While some OEM had passive coolers for the PPro and Socket 5 CPUs they also had case fans blowing air over them and the heatsinks were pretty large compared to what was use for Pentiums. Quite a few Socket 5 P60/66 systems died if the case fans quit spinning.

thanks for pointing this out, and I should have clarified that passively (ok I guess its not really passively now lol, communication clarity has never been a strong point), has a case fan blowing over them, the specific machine is a IBM PC 365, both CPU are at the front right side.
I agree a cooled heatsink would be the best choice here, but at $40 USD each, that's pretty significant, so I might look to see what else I can find that will fit.

thanks,
Jonathan

Ah ok, I will have a look for that maybe before spending so much on a SKT 8 cooler. Mine are just 256k 200 mhz ppros, due to cost not going with the 1MB versions!

You're not missing anything by not having them, the 1M parts are at most 5-10% faster than the 256k variants. They were a pretty big flop back in the day, and really only had a use for large databases.

As with typical Intel "TDP" numbers, they're more of a suggestion than typical. The Dual Pentium Pro board I have, both CPUs pull around 160-180W from the wall basically all the time. Some of that is the motherboard, VRMs and the single video card in for testing. They get pretty toasty even with the uprated diecast heatsinks on them and two fans each.

I'm sure running one of those throttling utilities like Rain would drop the power draw, but I don't use the system often enough to mess around with it.

Last edited:
Back