• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from colorado

alpha_sixty

Hello.
Just a bit about me...

I'm from Fort Collins, Colorado. I've been interested in vintage computers ever since about 8 years ago, when my dad gave me his Mac Classic. I remembered when he bought it and how he had paid almost $3000 dollars for it, but here he was giving it to me for nothing. It struck me how fast the value had declined, and got me thinking about how many computers there must be in the world that to most people are worth absolutely nothing! I took an over-the-top interest in older computers, and began to buy them whenever I'd see them... I just had to save them from being worthless! I decided to start a museum of sorts where I could bring people and teach them about the "history" of computers. I particularly enjoy the fact that the history of the computer as we know it in our day to day life, is actually quite short! My dad is a pastor of a church, and as such, I was able to use the basement of his building as my display space. I never opened it officially, but wheenever my band would play, I'd proudly show off my collection, and awe my friends with the glory of my KayPro II, or the wonders of my TI-994/A! Nobody really ever got too interested, but they were nice, and acted like it.

Eventually, my dad had me clean out the basement, and I either sold most of them on eBay, or they are in a box in my closet. I've always enjoyed the fact that there are a wonderful amount of people who love Vintage Computers, and I've always wanted to learn more about them, so... ... here I am!

Matt

Matt, just yesterday I got an email about the "Colorado Computer Museum" which appears to be someone's private collection setup as a traveling exhibit. The site is http://www.trailingedge.org/ but it hasn't been updated in a long time. But not far from you in Loveland, Colo. (what a name for a city!)... do you know anything about it?

Hello Matt and welcome to the VC Forums!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your visits! :)

Erik

I was not aware of the Colorado Computer Museum! I'll have to drop by there as soon as possible! (Yes, Loveland is an interesting name for a town! Around Valentines day, post offices around the world route letters through Loveland so that the postal cancellation code can read Loveland, CO.)

I've got a question about a very interesting "pre-computer" analog machine that I found years ago (actually in Loveland!) and would like to know where I can post links to pictures of it so that the right people can see it and possibly give me an idea of what it may be. If you could help point me in the right direction as to which category to post in, that'd be quite helpful!

Matt

Re: reply

Re: reply

alpha_sixty said:
[...]would like to know where I can post links to pictures of it so that the right people can see it and possibly give me an idea of what it may be.

You can post links within these forums if your images are hosted elsewhere.

If you can wait until tomorrow I will hopefully have migrated over to another forum software package that will allow you to upload images directly. . .

Erik

Hi Matt!

You can post links to it in the General Discussions section, or one of the other sections were it best fits.

Welcome to the Forum, Glad to have you!

-Vlad

EDIT

Dang, Erik, that was fast. I just leave for a second to get a disk, and you beat me to it!

-V

It's not really a matter of if I can wait or not, but I've hosted the images myself because they are quite large. I shrunk them down form their original size, but I wanted them to be somewhat big so that people could see detail... (hopefully)

I'll provide a link here, and then I'll post them elsewhere as well.

http://www.cupofhope.info/test/computer/

If you can tell me what this may be, that'd be quite helpful. I found it in a thrift store in Loveland, CO about 7 years ago, and knew then that I had stumbled upon something quite special indeed!

The unit measures (about) 3' in length by 1.5' wide, by 1.5' high.

It all works, (although I blew out the fuse,) and has a schematic on the inside of the lid. I wired it up according to the schematic, and turned it on and most of the lights lit up (I assume some of them are burned out) and the whole thing jumped about 6 inches up and out of the box. Due to it's large size and weight, when it jumped up, it cracked a seam on the box. After about 5 seconds, the fuse on the unit blew, and I havent really looked into replacing it, because I really dont know what it is... The under side of it has large relays that press switches and depending on how it's wired, certain lights on top light up. All of the lamps are definitely old bulbs, as I have seen them on other equipment from the 50's and 60's such as reel to reel players, etc.

I am very interested in knowing what this may be!!!

matt

Back