• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Michigan! Compaq EP Deskpro 3DFX Build

CometGSR

Hello all! I stumbled onto this forum looking for specific information of SCSI ULTRA terminators. After looking around some more, I figured I would register!

I have been working in I.T. since 1996 at a very young age and have always loved the old stuff. I started at the tail end of the Windows 3.1 days, so many of the vintage posts make me feel really old, even though I am not 50 yet! Some they call vintage are the same machines I remember pulling out of the box brand new. I am a IBM Model M keyboard nut, have many of them stored away. My favorite is a 1986 Model M that is in a IBM Industrial plastic. Unicomp had these shells for sale and I sent over a very worn Model M for them to transplant/rebuild. I was among the first to do it and after my post on Geekhack, the YouTubers got in on the action before Unicomp ran out of stock.

I'm working on a Compaq Desktop EP Pentium II right now, which I am turning into a Windows 95 3DFX build. I decided to use SCSI Ultra2 or Ultra3 storage with it, along with a Adaptec AHA-2940UW card. Fairly limited on the card due to it not having the long PCI lot on it. The drive is a HP 9.1GB 10K Ultra3 but I am thinking the AHA-2940UW can only do Ultra2, which is fine. The guys in the Vintage Computer Club said to use modern storage but that ruins the fun. I know it will be noisy but it will be quite the presence at the next LAN party.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum. I too love Scsi...
but couldnt give two cares about keyboards.. cuz the keyboard fanatics are a weirdo fetish bunch.

What part of Michigan are you from? I'm in the lower SW corner, Berrien County.

Welcome to the forums!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I too love Scsi...
but couldnt give two cares about keyboards.. cuz the keyboard fanatics are a weirdo fetish bunch.
Yeah, I've seen some weird but creative keyboards. I have tried modern keyboards but they don't do much for me. Model M is where it's at.

Back