• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from New York

mercury

Hello everyone:

I am very happy to had found www.vintage-computer.com and a community of people who are interested in vintage computers.
I started out with simple video game computers back in the early 1980's. By 1992 my first personal computer was a 386 running MS-DOS 5/Win3.1.

Throughout the 1990, I had a number of computers running different versions of Windows. As time went by, I began to become nostalgic about older computers which caused me to purchase a Commodore 64 and 128. Latter on I purchase an Apple2e.

My computer interests is to learn about older computer (including UNIX and other computer languages) and use them to their highest potential. I would also like to learn about mainframes and make new friends within the vintage computer community.

Thank you
mercury

I went to NY two years ago. It was terrible to discover that all the Converse that I purchased spending buckets of euro were sold for a few dollars. Anyway, welcome!

Good to meet you.

I still have that old 386. Problem is that it is not working, too many things are wrong with it. However, I just can not seem to throw it out because it was my first PC.

However, I have other PC's, and I am thinking about installing DOS 6.2 and either Win3.1 or Win95.

I want to get back to programming with Qbasic4.5 that is another reason why I want to install DOS 6.2. Because the PC has 2 USB ports, I might install Win95 because if I remember right when the USB's came out Win95 also came out.

I do not know if Win3.1 can handle USB ports. And I am not even sure if DOS can reconize USB ports. LOL

So in effect, I might downgrade that PC from XP all the way down to DOS.

mercury

Hello everyone:

I am very happy to had found www.vintage-computer.com and a community of people who are interested in vintage computers.
I started out with simple video game computers back in the early 1980's. By 1992 my first personal computer was a 386 running MS-DOS 5/Win3.1.

Throughout the 1990, I had a number of computers running different versions of Windows. As time went by, I began to become nostalgic about older computers which caused me to purchase a Commodore 64 and 128. Latter on I purchase an Apple2e.

My computer interests is to learn about older computer (including UNIX and other computer languages) and use them to their highest potential. I would also like to learn about mainframes and make new friends within the vintage computer community.

Thank you
mercury

Where abouts in NY? You should modify your profile to show location.

Yo, Mercury!

There's a vintage computer user group in your area. I will send you a private message.

Hi Mercury, Yes the Model 4 had a 12MB and a 15MB Harddrive available.
They were external devices that attached to the system bus. I beleive that these also worked with the Model III and Model I. They looked like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRS-80-15-Meg-H...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c4eee9078

But the one I have is the same off white color of the Model 4 and only cost $50.00 not this guys price gouging. :D

Back