• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Oslo, Norway

mvno_subscriber

Experienced Member
Hi!

I'm an '83 (I guess that makes me a millenial) having recently resumed my hobby of collecting, restoring and programming old computers. It started in my teens basically, I would drool over 286's and 8088's and collect a decent amount. Then I got a wife and kid, and some got lost -- until about a year ago when I started hoarding again and getting space to finally not only keep the computers but use them as well.

I've got 8086, 8088, 286 DOS computers, a couple of CP/M machines (3 Osbornes and 1 Tiki 100 to be exact), an old word processor and a couple Selectrics + other typewriters, a few dot matrix printers and a daisy wheel. Yeah.. I guess I like typewriters and printers, too! Being Norwegian makes it more difficult to get hold of hardware, since we gotta have these special characters (æ ø å) we only share with the Danish. We're not that many people :oops:

Got a bunch of hardware as well, plus many games consoles - but computers is where my heart lies. Basically, the older and more primitive the better. I'm a masochist, in the way that the more limitations and fewer resources I have when coding, the more love I feel (with the exception of the editor - on that particular topic I prefer to be a bit more modern)..

Keyboards, too, love 'em. I need variation in my life, so I like both rubberdome/Cherry/Keytronics/whathaveyounot - switching between keyboards and OSes on a regular basis makes me happy. I had a buckle spring keyboard once that came with my IBM XT286. I threw it away to conserve space. Still hurts.

A dream would be to build my own computer using only TTL logic. It would be awesome, bulky, well documented, very serious and probably double as a heater for the house.

Back