• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Texas

Hawkeye0914

Experienced Member
Hello all! My grandfather and I both have shared a huge passion for gadgets. All throughout my life we have really enjoyed spending time together learning and playing with all means of them. Unfortunately he passed away in November. While going through storage, I found his old IBM 5150 along with the BASIC and Operations manual. The operations manual still has the diagnostics disk in it so I popped it in and booted it up. Low and behold it seems to working with out any issue. I was only able to boot cassette basic on the machine as I cannot find any other software for it, but it was fun to play with. Wrote a few lines of code and saved them to print out things to family members, and had a good time with it. I'm looking to get into using it as a hobby machine now for nostalgia and hopefully feel a little closer to him now and then. I have ordered a flash drive emulator today and will see if I can get it to work to boot up some vintage software and hopefully have a good time with it. I have found a lot of good info on here over the last few days and thought I'd go ahead and try to get involved.

Back