• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello, from the UK

High_Treason

Experienced Member
Hello, collector of old computers here, mostly x86 though I have a real soft spot for the C64 and also anything made by SEGA.

My name is Paul, I am 22, from England, not the best place to collect such things.

I have a YouTube channel; http://youtube.com/user/hightreason610 where I do system overviews and post recordings of stuff from the old demoscene, using the real hardware as opposed to DOSBox, I despise emulation when it isn't neccesary, though I appreciate it's uses in the right circumstances or when hardware is not available.

I own a lot of machines and parts, from 80286 upwards. I also own a lot of consoles and related hardware, some rather obscure. With the PC though, I seem to specialize in sound cards for some reason.

My current projects are building an 80386DX (I have an IBM PS/ValuePoint with a 386SX already, that was my first PC, not it's time for a DX33 with a coprocessor to make it jelous) and rebuilding the power supply in my Teradrive for which I plan on dumping the BIOS for a guy that requested it elsewhere.

I am very close to owning all the parts that I actually want so I'm in a good mood these days.

Not sure if I'll post here much, I'm about to go to sleep, but yeah, that's me.

Welcome to the forums! Have you seen the MindCandy dvds? Pretty fun to see what the demo scene was up to and when. I like knowing the specs of the hardware they're run on, not sure if it helps the average user understand but hope some folks out there understand how advanced the hobbyist coding can be.

..ugh.. not much sleep lately from work pages.. (I feel my sentences are at a solid 11 year old coherence for now). Regardless, welcome! What sort of gear do you have? What's your favorite hardware for the demos? I see a lot of yours (well ok the 3 I clicked on) are DOS/x86.

I've never encountered the Mindcandy DVDs in physical form, but I have browsed archives of their contents online. The demoscene fascinates me, it is where the real innovators were.

Most of my gear is x86, mostly 486 and Pentium. I favour running a Pentium MMX 200 (Have a 233 I plan on dropping into that) for the demos with a Gravis Ultrasound, it is often overkill. I have an Am486DX4-100 with SoundBlaster 2.0 (Soon to be changed to a Pro 2) that I use for demos that do not support the GUS. Both machines use an S3 Trio 64. For demos requiring slower systems, I currently use the Am286, that runs at 6Mhz, has an Everex Viewpoint video card with a weird connector. For sound, the machine gets hooked up to a Stereo Covox I built based upon Mr.H of Triton's design. There is a gap because there are some demos intended for 386 that I can't run... yet.

I had my sleep anyway, and woke up to find that the shipment of my 386 motherboard was cancelled, seems the NiCad battery strikes again. Still, nice of the seller to be honest.

I always enjoyed the cracking groups little demos or animations they would have bundled with their releases. Gave you something funny to watch while it patched (or infected) your system.

Trixter is an active member here too and I'm sure he'll be by shortly to discuss demos with ya ;-) Did you catch his (groups?) IBM PC Corruption demo?

A cool thing as well for those who would like to watch it, Netflix actually has 2 of the Mindcandy version dvds available for rent :)

Back