• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello World!

duo

Well, it's nice to see a good computer forum online finally.

I have been into electronics most of my life and I'm just getting into teaching myself how to design complex computer circuitry.

I have recently designed and drawn schematics for an eight bit relay CPU. It incorporates, so far, a full eight bit ALU with subtraction system in two's or one's compliment selectable, basic A, B, Stack, and Program registers, addressing for 256 words of RAM, front panel booting capability, binary I/O, serial I/O, parallel I/O, and later, paper tape punch and read.

I have a few interesting pieces in my collection, but I'm looking toward learning how to find more.

Of the most interesting items is a Sperry Gyroscope RVR (Runway Visual Range) computer. I have the manuals and documentation, also, a card tester, and extra replacement parts for this complete working computer. The problem: I cannot find any information on the internet about it, and I don't know anyone who has seen one. I'm wondering if anyone on here would recognize it?? I'll be posting pictures soon...

Aside from that, I haven't got the most interesting stuff. Got an ALR PowerCache 33/4e machine, which is the most robust 486 I've ever seen. And an Atari 1200XL, and two other ataris, commodore 64, and vic. Also three Apple IIe machines, and an Apple IIc. A commodore machine with 8080 processor. Gandalf MUX2000, if that's of any interest. Lots of XT machines, and x86 based equipment from the 8086 up to athlon and pentium 4 machines. Lots of other junk too, but I can't remember it right now...

Anyway, it's nice to be here and I hope to meet some other computer or electronics nerds. :D

Oh! I completely forgot! Oh my goodness, I can't believe I didn't mention this beautiful machine!

I have a Lorenz Model 15 Teletype machine, with tape reader and punch, full working order. Good thing I remembered that, it's one of my most cherished relics.

Wow, that really looks like some impressive stuff you have there. I can't wait to see the pics of that Gyroscope RVR and the Lorenz.

Welcome aboard Duo :). It's good to have you here :)

Here are pictures of the RVR computer and the Lorenz Teletype.

Enjoy ;)

RVR_1.jpg

RVR_2.jpg

RVR_Display.jpg

Cards.jpg

Cards_2.jpg

Lorenz_15.jpg

Lorenz_15_2.jpg

Is anyone even going to take a look?

- I forgot so much when I made my first post. Another thing is that I should have introduced myself more, being that this is the introduction forum.

I am eighteen years old, living on Vancouver Island BC. I design audio and computer equipment for my hobby and am an Amateur Radio operator. I also play the piano :)

That should help. Sorry for delaying to introduce myself further.

Wow, that RVR is definitally in great shape. :).... I play keyboards by the way, but I'm sure I'd be no good on pianos because my keyboards don't have the weighted keys. So I'd need some times to get used to them :).

What exactly does that RVR do? By that I mean it looks like it's part of a radar system of some sort (an old one :) ) but exactly what does the signal processor do? and would that (although different in technology) still be a need in today's modern radar systems?

Well, playing the piano is a lot more exercise after playing a keyboard, but it's not that far off. You just have to work on your manual dexterity and muscle memory I find. I like playing keyboards too.

The RVR counts pulses from a transmissometer (a device that uses light to measure the effects of fog and such) and converts them into a readable number, which is what you see on that little three place counter.

It actually has nothing to do with radar.

The purpose is to indicate to pilots and ILS (instrument landing systems) the estimated visual range of the runway in meters to 10% accuracy.

Back