• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello

Monkey

Hi,

I am a 17 year old senior in high school with an interest in vintage computers. My friends think I am crazy for this but I don't care, I love old computers. I guess it's seeing how far computers have come in a short period of time and revisiting a part of history that I wish I was alive in that interests me. Learning DOS is probably what got me into old computers, I love the simplicity of it and I wish OS's could be like that today. My first computer, although it's not that old, was a Gateway 2000 4SX-33V. I recently did my senior project on computer history where I found some interesting and unusual information. My collection isn't too large but I am working on it, I try to find my stuff at thrift stores. It is great to see a forum dedicated to vintage computers!

/\/\ O N K E Y

Hello Monkey and welcome to the VC Forums!

Don't worry that your friends think you're crazy. Most of us have the same problem.

As long as you're doing what you enjoy. . .

Erik

Erik's right...we ALL have that problem. Just a little piece of advice, don't just limit your collection to IBM compatables. There were a number of different companies that made their own proprietary computers and peripherals. I know you probably don't have a lot of room, but even just getting user manuals and programming books/magazines will give you some insight into them. From there you can pick and choose what other systems might interest you, and maybe later on pick one up.

Yeah, thanks for the tip Kaptain Skitzo. The non-IBM compatables I have are a C64 and a TI-99/4A and I hope to get some others. It would rock to have an Apple Lisa or something.

/\/\ O N K E Y

Welcome about, Kentucky collector... I'm on the younger side too (just turned 30, which probably seems ancient to ya)... but it's up to us to keep old machines alive!

Since no one can collect ALL computers, you'll find that many of us choose some specialty. Often it's related to what they used as kids, or what they always wanted but couldn't afford, etc.... for example I love handhelds and they're "of" my generation (invented in the 70s, 80s, etc.) so that's what I collect.

I've given some thought to what people who grow up in the beige-box generation might find worth collecting... I mean, my dad collects 1950s cars, but it's hard to imagine that someday people will think a Taurus or Corolla is a worthwhile antique... but you know they will.

Anyway I think a neat thing to specialize in would be computers that are "out of the box" from your generation -- such as Internet appliances, Sony Vaio, iMac, tablet PC, etc.... this stuff doesn't meet the "10 year rule" that we usually use to define "what's collectible"... but it will soon and you'll have not just a head start but also a personal connection.

Just my 2 cents...

- Evan

By the way... you learned DOS as an intro to what's "old"... man now I really feel old!!... having grown up on a computer that (gasp) didn't even have a mouse, and when 300 bps was a cutting-edge modem. :)

Mobilemaster has a good point there. You could focus on something like 286 era machines and apple II's. The field was definately thinned at that point, but the machines can still be had for a song. It alsol lets you explore early OS's. Dos, Windows 3.1, OS2, etc...
I personally started collecting documentation. Mostly books on earlier languages (Ada, PL/1, etc.) but also manuals and software. It takes up less space and if you have access to a machine or two, can go a long way towards getting a feel for the "early days".

Thanks, I will definitely focus on something. I was kind of thinking like early gaming machines (i.e. TI-99, Atari, etc.), but the 286 and Apple II is a great idea. I could learn more than just gaming, like apps. and programming. I say that would probably be more beneficial. The thing is I want to learn everything, I want to have a Xerox Alto next to a Mac.

/\/\ O N K E Y

mobilemaster said:
By the way... you learned DOS as an intro to what's "old"... man now I really feel old!!... having grown up on a computer that (gasp) didn't even have a mouse, and when 300 bps was a cutting-edge modem. :)

300 bps cutting-edge? I remember the Xerox 820 my dad had at the office that I got to learn on- it was "top-o-the-line" when they bought it and it had a 110 baud- acoustic coupled modem......gawds I wish I had that machine now.<sniff>

I think I'll go find my bottle of Geritol now....

I can remember when my "legacy" machines were all NEW. Like a fine wine they only get better with age. I do things with mine the manufacturer never would have believed could be done. Don't let nobody convince you they're obsolete! As long as they serve a purpose don't sell, give or throw them away. You'll regret it!

Back